Photo Story from Valle Vidal/Vermejo Park

lchcguide

Took a drive last thursday from Cimarron to Costilla. I will let the photos tell the story. We had a great time.

46c113a1442f8b4e.jpg

46c113c5456190c5.jpg

46c113f046010fc7.jpg

46c1141a4677cc04.jpg

46c1143946c74e16.jpg

46c1145f475cda03.jpg

These were only a very small amount of the pictures taken from the drive. We saw around 300 head of elk, mostly cows and raghorns, 20 deer, and the lonely little bear right at the vermejo park/valle vidal gate. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

I loved the pics.Thanks for sharing them. Just found that bear walking around in the middle of the day??? Great pics ,again , thanks....Larry

Thanks for the pictures. I have not been able to get out and scout much, except speed goats, since early July. I guess as soon as antelope season is over I will be off to hunt the rut crazed elk. At least I hope they are.

But first I guess I will try to help my bro in law kill a deer starting the first of Sept.

Fun times are on the way.

I just found out a buddy of mine drew this unit along with his son for the first rifle bull hunt. He's not to sure about where to start scouting. Any suggestions on the area would be appreciated.

WD

There are elk in every nook and cranny on the valle vidal. I have never hunted the unit but have on the place. We saw elk in the higher country and elk in the lower terrain. Talk to a biologist the other day and he said the bigger bulls tend to come off the north end along the rim. Maybe try this area which would be in the lower terrain closer to vermejo park. Should have no troubles finding an elk to kill.

VV basically has a top and a bottom seperated by a tall wall. Weather has a lot to do with where to find elk/bulls during the hunts. Bulls will go back up to that North side before and after the rut, but in October are basically where the cows are.

When in doubt start looking in the burn in the southeast. Lots of elk, lots of bulls but not really know for huge bulls. I drew my OIL bull tag last year and got too picky for my own good. I chased a 360 bull (and 30 cows) for 4 days and came home empty handed. Had my chances though, and so will you.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z6/tmbrlinewarden/MM banners/JohnQPubicbanner1.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom