Pics & Vid from my 06 Antelope Hunt

257Tony

Long Time Member
Got back today from my CWMU pronghorn hunt. 7 years of waiting and I finally got to go on my first ever Pronghorn hunt.
We arrived yesterday at about 9am and got checked in, set up camp and hit the field by about 10:30. I had a self imposed rule of no shooting on the first day! So we just drove around and got to know the place a little bit, practiced our glassing and stalking techniques. The Bucks were starting to rut, so they were acting fairly stupid, it was the Does you had to watch out for! We saw 12 bucks that first day, all from the road, with no serious effort being made to locate, because I was having a tough time controlling my trigger finger! The biggest Buck we saw the whole trip just happened to be the first one, about 5 min out of camp, LOL! Oh well, we still did fairly good, and had an ABSOLUTE BLAST!! This was by far one of the funnest hunts I have ever been on, I wish I would have had like 7 tags.
We hit the road early this morning and spotted a really nice Buck with about 30 Does about 1/2 mile down in a draw, so we put the sneek on him. Our planned out stalk worked to perfection and we ended only 150 yds from him, with him having no clue we were there, only forgot one thing... I had given my younger Brother the gaurantee that he would get to shoot first, and he must have been a little exited, as he missed high by about 2 feet. Oops. So we trudged back to the truck and headed back to a spot where we had seen 2 nice Bucks the night before, and they were right back where we left them. We put on our stalking shoes again and were busted by the Does, bummer! Back to the Truck and down the road some more, this time its my 6 yr old Boy that spots one off the road a ways. This time we put a little more effort into our stalk and got around behind the Buck where we had some little hills for cover, worked to perfection and we were rewarded with a 100 yd shot. This time he made good and hit right through the heart! So we took our pics and a little more video, got him back to the Truck and headed back the way we came.
Its about 11 am now and we decide to do big loop on our way back to camp for lunch. Well we hadnt gone 10 min when I spot a Buck off in the sage, he looks fairly good so we decide to get a closer look. We get to less than 200 yds and I can see he has decent length, not much mass, but nice Ivory tips. It was the white that sold me, so I let my namesake speak, and that was all she wrote....

My brother with his Buck--79"

Me with my 73" pisscutter

We pretty much had the half the Ranch to ourselves, the Elk hunters were up in the high country, and we had the low end to ourselves, no other Antelope hunters there at that time. I got a lot of video footage, and put the the kill shots on Google video for you guys. I picked out a few things that the infamous "MM ethics police" will surelt pick up ;-)
1.Yes, my boy was wearing orange, he just took it off for our big time Hollywood walk up shot.
2. My truck was parked behind and below my brothers buck, hence the "dont shoot my truck"
3. The road that my buck died on was closed, and we didnt even know about it till we got to him.
4. Yes, I call them "Lopers"
5. Sad that I have to put this stuff, but I know you guys are all perfect, stand up hunters!
Here is the vid.........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1635666849534764504&hl=en

Tony!!!

NICE CUTTERS!!!

I THOUGHT YOU WERE INVITING ME THIS YEAR,WHATS UP WITH THAT???

DO I GET A PIECE OF JERKY???

AGAIN,NICE LOPERS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF THE FORD WAS ABLE TO HAUL ALL OF THEM OUT???

Tony,

Congrats on a great hunt. Looks like you did really good. I don't see many up here with that much mass.

Glad you had a great time!

Jason

Congrats Tony!!!!, and Mark of course as well. That place is unbelievable, way better than that other unit you were putting in for all those years. So cool to see your boy out there with you, nothing like it.
Did you hit yours in the back? Man, he went right down, you don't mess around with that .257.
Now, you just have to draw an elk tag before you die, It is possible, remember Jesse.
Way cool to have Mark there as well, I loved the huge dust cloud that kicked up as he piled up, great video.

Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

High shoulder shot??? The video is made me feel like I was sitting there...good stuff.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-06 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]Mine entered from low in the chest and exited high shoulder with my .257 and a 100 gr bullet at 3600 fps. That was the intended result with that kind of velocity. Thanks guys, and Jason, I expect lots of MM pics from you this year!!!!!!

>
>Tony!!!
>
>NICE CUTTERS!!!
>
>I THOUGHT YOU WERE INVITING ME
>THIS YEAR,WHATS UP WITH THAT???
>
>
>DO I GET A PIECE OF
>JERKY???
>
>AGAIN,NICE LOPERS!!!
>
>THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF THE
>FORD WAS ABLE TO HAUL
>ALL OF THEM OUT???

I should have called you, you would have loved having about 80,000 acres of prime Antelope country with nobody but an old Mexican in an old Chevy out looking for cattle. Yeah, the Ford was BARELY able to haul those bad boys out!

Yeah baby , you guys did gooooood ..I love hunten lopers too ,they are a blast for sure . To heck with the ethics police, you don't need to explain a darned thing , people should just be happy to come in here and visit and appreciate the company, but I also understand what you were saying, but in the future , pisss on em...Your brothers rifle is pretty sharp lookin, what is it? Any how, congrats to both of you and thanks for sharing it...Larry

I love it ........ nice just like Hollywod!
good job! and thanks
(son is gonna be a killer too just by the giggles I hear!)
jack

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUY'S HAD SOME FUN. YOUR BOY LOOKS MORE HAPPY THAN YOU DO. CONGRAT'S ON YOUR BUCK OF WAITING 7 YEARS. I TOO HOPE TO HAVE GOOD VIDEO THIS YEAR WHEN YOU FILM ME SHOOTING MY ELK. HA HA. I'LL HAVE TO COME AND SEE THE HORNS AT YOUR PLACE WHEN YOUR THIER BUDDY. WAY COOL VIDEO. IT MAKES THE TIME TO FILM THAT MUCH MORE SPECIAL.

BUGLEMN

Good job, Tony!
That pic with your son is one for the books!
I understand about that itchy trigger finger--I just tell myself, 'listen to the hand."

Rump

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-06 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Great pics and video. You guys did well! Gotta love them 257 Roys, shoot one myself. Nothing like bang flop. Good stuff

All I can say is awesome! Hunting those speedgoats as we call them is a trip! I can't wait to pull another tag! Thank you for sharing!

That is some sweet video you have there. Those are some nice bucks also. Love the younger ones commmentary in the background also.

Very Very nice Video!!!... Thanks so much for taking the time to put that on MM!... Talk about firing a Guy up for a trip!!!... We leave for Wyoming in 5 days for lopes... My Dad, Daughter, and Daughters boy-friend will be driving West on Saturday morning headed for Casper...

I'll be using my Savage Striker .243 with 100gr Federal's

Excellent Excellent Story and Video!

Thank You!... 330-Trapper

Very nice goat and video Tony! Sorry but I do not have any cool smileys! Was the Ford able to haul out those two studs?;-)

Great shooting and lopers Tony. Good job!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom