Pig Problem in California

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
I was coming back from a fishing trip last week and was above Laytonville on Hwy 101 when I had to stop for a Herd? of pigs. Look at all of the little ones and they are very healthy as you can see. One boar and three sows and about 20 piglets. Barley got my camera out couldn't get to my gun fast enough or we would have been eating Roasted piglet on an open fire...

IMG_3791 Pig Problem.jpg

Nice going Mike. I've only caught one legal sized Cabazon and that was from my kayak out of Trinidad. I was so proud! I unhooked it and held it up for my buddy to see and it flopped out of my hand back into the water and gone!

Always put them on a stringer before showing off.

They got their quota of pacific halibut here so it's closed and there are no king salmon to be found. Everybody is in a funk up here.

Mike, I would take those fish over a piglet any day and I happen to like pork. Have a great fish fry.
RELH

Looks like a lot of fun Mike… Just out curiosity is the Cabazone similar in flavor texture to halibut or cod?

Nice going Mike. I've only caught one legal sized Cabazon and that was from my kayak out of Trinidad. I was so proud! I unhooked it and held it up for my buddy to see and it flopped out of my hand back into the water and gone!

Always put them on a stringer before showing off.

They got their quota of pacific halibut here so it's closed and there are no king salmon to be found. Everybody is in a funk up here.
Yea I heard the F&G did their math which is they averaged all of the halibut they caught this year at 40# a piece and when they hit the magic number they shut it down.
That 40# number may have held up ten years ago as far as the average size but it is not that now...
I have already booked three trips next year so I don't get shut down again. Total bulls---t

Looks like a lot of fun Mike… Just out curiosity is the Cabazone similar in flavor texture to halibut or cod?
No they are called the poor man's lobster the meat is a very coarse texture. You boil it in either 7-up or chicken broth and then take your Cabazone and dip it in butter just like lobster.
Best eating rock fish there is.
Come on over next year Tikka and Eel and I will take you out in Shelter Cove you will have a blast.
Just remember what happens in Shelter Cove stays in Shelter Cove....LOL
so......pigs crossing the road in front of you is a cali problem??
Not just that they have so many litters a year and that it is getting worse. Just think how many will be in that herd next year as they have two litters a year.

DH53, that’s a great offer but be careful I may take you up on that… So it’s like our Burbot fish here at Flaming George, they call them the poor mans lobster as well…

DH53, that’s a great offer but be careful I may take you up on that… So it’s like our Burbot fish here at Flaming George, they call them the poor mans lobster as well…
Yes they are like Burbot but salty tasting. Ugly buggers and when they come in the boat they are in full flight which is what I call it when their fins are all at full flair.
If you come you will go home with a cooler full of fish and maybe some crabs if you come early enough. My cousins come every year and we use a Weston vacuum packer with two motors and the fish will last two years if need be once we pack them. Then just put them on ice until you get home and then into the freezer.
Well talk as I am setting up trips for next year now the best Pacific Halibut is in June. They hit the limit of catch at the end of June this year. So plan accordingly.

Careful, if you get too serious about eradicating them you risk being labeled a climate warrior.

That is why there is an open season on them year around. No limit and if you took out about half of those piglets it wouldn't even make a dent in that local population. Good eating though

Careful, if you get too serious about eradicating them you risk being labeled a climate warrior.

Those climate alarmists have a wonderful imagination. Every time we open a beer or a soda we are releasing deadly CO2 gas too. Earth is screwed, I guess.

If feral hogs are so bad why do landowners charge money to shoot one?

Those climate alarmists have a wonderful imagination. Every time we open a beer or a soda we are releasing deadly CO2 gas too. Earth is screwed, I guess.

Answer to your question...Because they can, and people will pay it.

Not all landowners want hunters on their property. In addition, it's nearly impossible to control feral pig populations with recreational hunting. I've ran a few different feral pig depredation projects here in CA and have another one starting next month. I typically trap them but this next project will be both trapping and shooting them incidentally on the landscape. My trap design has been successful in catching up to 12 pigs at a time.

2019-05-10 10.25.03.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom