PINE CREEK VS SNAKE RIVER

U

unclewalty

WOULD LIKE SOME HELP HERE. MY HUNTING PARTNER AND I HAVE BEEN VERBALY DEBATING ON WETHER PINE CREEK OR SNAKE RIVER WOULD BE A BETTER UNIT FOR US TO HUNT ELK IN. WE HAVE HORSES AND OUR OWN EQUIPMENT AND LOVE TO PACK IN FOR A GOOD HUNT, TO ENJOY THE LAND AND A GOOD OPPURTUNITY TO HUNT FOR A GOOD BULL. HIS SOURCES RECCOMMEND PINE CREEK AREA BUT MINE HAVE INSISTED ON SNAKE RIVER UNIT. ANY OPPINIONS TO HELP US SETTLE THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.( OF COUSRSE ALL FIGHTING IS IN FUN) THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR OPINIONS!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 03:02PM (MST)[p]Snake River SUCKS! Go to Pine Creek...

ORultraMag might have something to comment on these units?

muleyman

I hunted the snake river a couple years ago when the lord flat trail was open and you could drive in there. Now they close the trail/road 3 days prior to bow season thru the last elk season. If you have horses, I would recommend this unit. I havent been back there since they closed the road during the season because I dont have pack animals.

Dave

Snake river is over crowded and too many outfitter drop camps, especially in the Lord Flat, Windy Ridge area. Last year we ran into 8 camps all within 5 miles, and 5 of them were drop camps!!! Yes its true they close the Hat point rd going into the Lord flat area, but on the other hand its for the best. Can u imagine that area if they allowed rigs to drive up that road during season? It would be hell, even worse than it is now!

You can pack into Lord flat from Cow Creek but again you will find alot of camps...this is why I say Pine creek, or others that are around there.

This unit was once great when few hunted it...but now its not worth it because everyone that hunts it either has their own stock to get them back in miles where they think no one else will be, or hired someone to take them in. Just my 2 cents

muleyman

thank you for the input I was hoping you would respond you seem to know eastern oregon very well. your experience was it during the rifle hunt or archery. and how do you do a pm on this forum?
thanks a bunch.

look to the right of where our names are on the posts. There are four boxes uncluding one that looks like a folder. (click the folder) Next to the "head" looking one. after that you will know what to do from there...

muleyman

Back
Top Bottom