Pine Valley, UT Deer

FD50D2BB-EEC7-4CF7-8E7A-8911DFAE9B94.png
1E5AD613-40AD-452C-8B06-4FA24762C93A.png

Ok, what is the # for the unit? Thanks. Not good for finding stuff on the computer. I get the draw odds in CO magazine every year. pc

Also, there is now an early and general season. It took us 4 points to draw the early last year.

Steve, lots of people when you went?
Paul- There were a bit. We learned and stuck to a small area and hunted that. We saw a couple people in there the 4 days we hunted. We just made sure we got to the trail head about an hour before light so we'd beat them up to our area. It is a big unit so I would guess it wouldn't be difficult to find an area you could have to yourself. I suspect it would take a little bit of time to hike into said area though. We had tons of people drive by our camp....road hunting. We camped about 6 miles south of the reservoir.

Here's the post about our hunt...fun area and a big unit.

Looks like me and the kid should be in for the late rifle this year. Trying to plan a summer scouting trip down there to look around. I've read everything I can find on it. Time to put myself in the unit.

Looks like me and the kid should be in for the late rifle this year. Trying to plan a summer scouting trip down there to look around. I've read everything I can find on it. Time to put myself in the unit.
Great unit! Holds some great deer. Hunt hard and one can be rewarded with a great buck! Tough to get away from the crowds on the late hunt but always a good time to be in the hills.

Great unit! Holds some great deer. Hunt hard and one can be rewarded with a great buck! Tough to get away from the crowds on the late hunt but always a good time to be in the hills.
I've been curious which hunt is better, early or late. When I think of deer hunting I always default to later is better. Maybe that's not the case?

I'd bet you'd have to experience both hunts for yourself to make that determination. You'd probably get a mix of opinions here. You are right, typically later would be better. Colder temps, possible rut activity and new deer moving into the lower country daily. But, then you never know if that will happen due to weather so.......

I believe that if you can scout and find a big one, the earlier the better. At least earlier than other hunts.

I've kicked around trying the Pine Valley unit myself.

I don't know that area. I've heard the same about the later hunt down there. I think I'd want to try the early hunt. Would just need to squeeze in the scouting.

I've been curious which hunt is better, early or late. When I think of deer hunting I always default to later is better. Maybe that's not the case?
They are both good. However the unit is very migrant dependent so if you get weather the later is much better. If not then you have to know the areas the deer hold up in during the earlier hunts.

Pine Valley is a pretty good general season hunt. I’ve hunted it several times in addition to several other units in the state and it’s better than average, but there are others of equal quality that get less pressure. I would also say the quality is similar to the 3rd season CO unit I can draw with 0 points. I’m also not sure if early scouting would very beneficial on either rifle hunt as the deer are transitioning a lot during October.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom