Pisscutter halibut

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It's my personal best California Halibut. It was the only fish I caught today. 33 inches, about 17-18 pounds. My freezer is far from full this year. It has to be global warming because I'm too good of a fisherman.

P1010154.JPG

Eel my son, the cop, found out what you said about cutting down his favorite walnut tree. He contacted his fishing buddy, our local game warden, and told him about how you brag on your fishing and you might be over the limit in your freezer.
Our warden contacted your local warden and they agreed that they are going to keep you under surveillance in hopes of catching you in violation. You better send Elk some of those fish to get rid of the evidence. Oh! Cuz said he will take some also. Said something about you owe him.
RELH

Oilcan, the one on the left is a Cabazon (the best tasting rock fish, IMO) and the other 3 look like Black or maybe Blue rock fish. The term Rock Cod is just a generic term which includes all the different species. There are different species of Cod too. Confusing, I know.

Halibut=a lot of work. When you reel one up from 250', it gets to the surface and then screams back down..ouch. Years ago I caught a 239 #...wish I had not have kept her...I still feel bad about it today.

It's my personal best California Halibut. It was the only fish I caught today. 33 inches, about 17-18 pounds. My freezer is far from full this year. It has to be global warming because I'm too good of a fisherman.

View attachment 9990
Cheers to your PB.....Drifting live bait??? or trolling artificial's with man power on the hobie???,,,,I love ocean fishing,( i'm a salty fu(KeR), its like walking into the backcountry, you can go as deep as you want..... Ocean fishing is a different ball game. The true sign of a good ("Ocean fishermen") in knor cal...... is one who can go out and actually catch his targeted species(- salmon) on the bottom..... I usually catch something.....

Went halibut fishing three times this year...caught a sand shark, a ray, and a striper......WTF.....

I can catch my target species if I'm fishing for trout in a steam that only has trout....:rolleyes:

Cheers to fishing off the bottom...

My Daughters boyfriend is up by you right now, I think Shelter Cove. Eel are these Rock Cod ?
View attachment 10060

Thats some good ..."White meat".....Ceviche and tacos,..Maybe the cabezon cooked over the fire w butter, garlic, or fry whole in fat...the original way...

Cheers to the catch....

maybe this site needs a fishing forum???.....truly organic meat...(as the hippies would say).. is what were after....right??,....and the thrill of the kill.....

Last edited:
offtrail, don't hold me in too high esteem. :) I do it the easiest way in the bay. I drift with the tide while bouncing a swimbait off the bottom in about 20' of water. A 4" Big Hammer in pearl white is most consistent. Live bait will catch more halibut, but it's a hassle to get and hit and miss. And I very seldom catch a under sized fish on the swimbait. They catch a lot of small ones on live bait. I'd rather not catch any than risk killing a small one. I still see guys netting obviously under sized fish. A nylon net damages the tail and is fatal.

And bait will catch sharks and rays. I just don't want to deal with those.

Halibut=a lot of work. When you reel one up from 250', it gets to the surface and then screams back down..ouch. Years ago I caught a 239 #...wish I had not have kept her...I still feel bad about it today.
That's a barn door halibut. The big ones are females too. I doubt I could winch a 239# halibut up from 250 fow now. I wouldn't even want to try.:)

Great catch. I’m in NV. 26$/lb for halibut at the store. No one knows if it came from a small or large one when it’s wrapped.
One of my favorite fish to eat.

Oilcan, the one on the left is a Cabazon (the best tasting rock fish, IMO) and the other 3 look like Black or maybe Blue rock fish. The term Rock Cod is just a generic term which includes all the different species. There are different species of Cod too. Confusing, I know.
Hey Eel those kinda look like small ling cod with the cabazon not too sure but it seems that way...

Eel, still waiting for steaks. You know what goes really well with halibut? pc
Hummmm.....root beer? Milk?

I got a limit in a hour and a half last Friday. Now I need salmon. There has to be some perks for living in California. It's getting tougher though.

Hummmm.....root beer? Milk?

I got a limit in a hour and a half last Friday. Now I need salmon. There has to be some perks for living in California. It's getting tougher though.
Eel let me know when the salmon are in and I will take some time off to get some myself. But I also need halibut are you sharing ??? LOL

Wondered off on sunday....seeking some sea meat...went to my shore fishing spot...the cola colored "big hammer" caught the "blue ling"....20" so he swam on...
IMG_2935.PNG

the brown rock fish....
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 5.42.32 PM.png

well...he turned into a good snack...
IMG_2088.jpeg

next mission is the pink sea meat like Eel mentioned....."tis the season"..

A little hook and cook. Well done, offtrail! Those blue ling never cease to amaze me, even the meat is blue but turns snow white when cooked. I'm off the water for awhile until the big minus tides go away.

Agreed, Cab is the best eating No Cal rockfish. Those do look like smallish Ling in da Pic. Big Minus tides too hard to fish? Just got back, hard to keep my yak in position, jig in the strike zone. Limits of Blues and a few Black's.

Big minus tides are too hard to fish in the bay because of the current, especially from a kayak. You can still catch fish for sure but being retired I can pick the best (easiest) conditions.

They say China rock fish are great eating too but I've only caught two and they are too pretty so I released them both. If I ever catch another one I'm going to eat it.

Hey Eel the last time we went out we caught about 15 of those China cod i believe it was the most I have ever caught in one day on that species. The meat is like the Cabazon very thick and meaty very tasty I can see why the asians like them. Makes good fish and chips

I'll be up on August 13,14,15,16,17 fishing hopefully for salmon halibut and tuna. I'll bet with the fishing so slow this year they don't close the season in December, just like the old days when we did crab combos with rockfish at Christmas

I hope you have good conditions when you're up Mike. I just now checked the fishing report here in Humboldt. Reel Steel is a good fisherman.

7-23-2020 We had a real nice day fishing today. We ran offshore for Pacific Halibut and found them biting again. By 9:30 we had limits for the whole boat including one that was almost 50#. Our best so far this year. We thought we would give salmon a try on our way back in and we were sure glad we did. We trolled for an hour or so and picked up five real dandies. The salmon were really spunky and put up a great fight.

Were They KINGS Eel?

And How Big?

I hope you have good conditions when you're up Mike. I just now checked the fishing report here in Humboldt. Reel Steel is a good fisherman.

7-23-2020 We had a real nice day fishing today. We ran offshore for Pacific Halibut and found them biting again. By 9:30 we had limits for the whole boat including one that was almost 50#. Our best so far this year. We thought we would give salmon a try on our way back in and we were sure glad we did. We trolled for an hour or so and picked up five real dandies. The salmon were really spunky and put up a great fight.

Were They KINGS Eel?

And How Big?
?,They weren't Kings, they were Chinook salmon.............. :) . Yep Kings. When he says dandies he usually means 15-25 pounds.

Silvers, or Coho are not legal to keep here. They usually run about 40% of the hook-ups. Single barbless hooks make it easy to release.

PC, you like Bud with your fish? Or do you like fish with your Bud?

I saw a sign on a boat up in Alaska that said "Our drinking club has a fishing problem". I thought of you. ?

Yeah me and my buddy are going to book on the Real Steel next year. He is a good fisherman and always catches halibut.

Hope the weather is good any mention of Tuna yet in Eureka. Usually late July or August they start to show up.

Very nice Mr Eel. BEAUTIFUL halibut man!!!

I'm kind of a "hook and cook" guy ...if the fish can benefit by having the numbers reduced.
We just got back from a week at Lake Powell and between the Stripers and small mouth, we caught just a handful shy of 300 fish among all of us. We also caught large mouth, crappie, channel cats and walleye but not in large numbers and most were released.
The kids went home with multiple gallon bags of frozen fish fillets for their little families.

Zeke

Nice, Zeke! The only thing better than fishing is fishing with friends and family....as long as they don't out fish us.... ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom