Pistol Barrel Length

littlemonster

I am fixing to get a Ruger Super Black Hawk revolver and cant decide on the 7.5" and the 5.5" barrels. I will primarrely be using it when I am hiking in the woods for protection from bears or lions but will use it also incase I happen on som e pigs.

Have a 71/2" and 45/8" super in 44 mag, and always pack the shorter barrel in a pack or on my hip, much more lighter in carry all day.
If you get the longer 71/2" I recomend a shoulder holster, or it will be uncomfortable and heavy.
I load two rounds of #8 shot in speer capsules, then four rounds of 250 gr. Keith SWC.

My field packing revolver is a 44 blackhawk with the 5.5 lengh barrel. easy to pack and there will not be that much difference in velocity loss. I also like the shorter 4 5/8 barrel.

As gunguy stated, that longer barrel will just get in the way for everyday field packing and you will appreciate the shorter barrel for a field packing gun on day long trips.

Another thing I would reccomend is the use of Pachmayr rubber grips for better recoil control for fast followup shots if you use hot loaded ammo. I second the use of 250 gr. Keith style semi wad cutter ammo. loaded hot they will do the job on about anything you encounter except for a T-Rex, and might do him in if you put it in the brain.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom