Pittman-Robertson and Wolves?

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]It is amazing how much each of us as sportsman contribute to the Robinson Pittman fund most of us without even realizing, and than to have it used againt us or for the wrong purpose just makes me sick.

Let me give you an example of how this tax effects you the sportsman. I work for a Arrow Manufacture, and by law we are required to collect $.45 FET tax per arrow $5.40 per dozen. This tax is added to the cost of arrows when they are sold to a retailer. The retailer than adds let say a 60% margin Now he has applied his margin to the tax making the impact to you $8.64. Now you have sales tax applied to that of lets say 6% now you are being taxed on a tax and end up paying $9.16 more for a dozen arrows.

And this happens with most hunting and fishing gear. I am not saying that the tax is a bad thing overall there should be a tax that gives back to our sport, but how its calculated now and how some of the funds are being used is messed up.

I'm only learning of this individual within the last couple of months. He seems like a good man and I wish him well. I'd love to see "heads roll" and people end up in prison over this stuff.

However, this is not really new information. For the last 10 years, I have informed every hunter-ed class I taught of the fact that approximately $100,000,000, that could be identified, of Pittman-Robertson funds, had disappeared under the Clinton adm. I pointed out that one of the uses of those monies was to buy a small Caribbean Island....the only wildlife on the island were the domestic ducks in the fountain in front of the mansion.

My point to the class was that they needed to learn more about hunting than simply the "hunting/guns" aspect, because they were spending a LOT of money and there were powerful forces at work that would use their money in ways that they might not expect.

Lots of kids (and grownups) may not listen (think they say "whatever"), but we've GOT to listen and GOT to make people accountable. If we don't, there will be no hunting in the very near future.

Here in Idaho, we have approximately 400,000 voters. We have 250,000 people who buy hunting licenses. Obviously, some of those hunters are "too young to vote" but WE need to make politicians, judges and government employees ANSWER TO US.

First step: LEARN THIS STUFF
Second: GET FIRED UP ABOUT IT
Third: DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO MAKE THIS (and similar) KNOWN AND AN ISSUE

Within the shadows, go quietly.

This should outrage EVERY sportsman in America. Why are so many silent on this? WTF?

I just read the article and all I can say is wow! I like how everyone and their dog gets on here and bashes a poacher about illegally killing a big buck or bull but when its something like 70 million dollars and wolves theres only 3 replys WTH Im with HOYTME on this one and I am outragged I think Im going to forward this article to every elected offical in Washington.

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

...you can't fight city hall.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

We HAVE to try............the good guys win once in a while.

I'm always amazed that people dont know how to research things.

If PR funds were used for wolf reintroduction, I'd say it was not only within the law, but also an appropriate use of the funds.

Heres what the language in the PR Act:

? 669. Cooperation of Secretary of the Interior with States; conditions

The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to cooperate with the States, through their respective State fish and game departments, in wildlife- restoration projects as hereinafter in this chapter set forth; but no money apportioned under this chapter to any State shall be expended therein until its legislature, or other State agency authorized by the State constitution to make laws governing the conservation of wildlife, shall have assented to the provision of this chapter and shall have passed laws for the conservation of wildlife which shall include a prohibition against the diversion of license fees paid by hunters for any other purpose than the administration of said State fish and game department, except that, until the final adjournment of the first regular session of the legislature held after September 2, 1937, the assent of the Governor of the State shall be sufficient. The Secretary of the Interior and the State fish and game department of each State accepting the benefits of this chapter, shall agree upon the wildlife-restoration projects to be aided in such State under the terms of this chapter and all projects shall conform to the standards fixed by the Secretary of the Interior.

CREDIT(S)

(Sept. 2, 1937, c. 899, ? 1, 50 Stat. 917; 1939 Reorg. Plan No. II, ? 4(f), eff. July 1, 1939, 4 F.R. 2731, 53 Stat. 1433.)

? 669a. Definitions

As used in this chapter--

(1) the term "conservation" means the use of methods and procedures necessary or desirable to sustain healthy populations of wildlife, including all activities associated with scientific resources management such as research, census, monitoring of populations, acquisition, improvement and management of habitat, live trapping and transplantation, wildlife damage management, and periodic or total protection of a species or population, as well as the taking of individuals within wildlife stock or population if permitted by applicable State and Federal law;

(2) the term "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Interior;

(3) the term "State fish and game department" or " State fish and wildlife department" means any department or division of department of another name, or commission, or official or officials, of a State empowered under its laws to exercise the functions ordinarily exercised by a State fish and game department or State fish and wildlife department.

(4) the term "wildlife" means any species of wild, free-ranging fauna including fish, and also fauna in captive breeding programs the object of which is to reintroduce individuals of a depleted indigenous species into previously occupied range;

(5) the term "wildlife-associated recreation" means projects intended to meet the demand for outdoor activities associated with wildlife including, but not limited to, hunting and fishing, wildlife observation and photography, such projects as construction or restoration of wildlife viewing areas, observation towers, blinds, platforms, land and water trails, water access, field trialing, trail heads, and access for such projects;

(6) the term "wildlife conservation and restoration program" means a program developed by a State fish and wildlife department and approved by the Secretary under section 669c(d) of this title, the projects that constitute such a program, which may be implemented in whole or part through grants and contracts by a State to other State, Federal, or local agencies (including those that gather, evaluate, and disseminate information on wildlife and their habitats), wildlife conservation organizations, and outdoor recreation and conservation education entities from funds apportioned under this title, and maintenance of such projects;

(7) the term "wildlife conservation education" means projects, including public outreach, intended to foster responsible natural resource stewardship; and

(8) the term "wildlife-restoration project" includes the wildlife conservation and restoration program and means the selection, restoration, rehabilitation, and improvement of areas of land or water adaptable as feeding, resting, or breeding places for wildlife, including acquisition of such areas or estates or interests therein as are suitable or capable of being made suitable therefor, and the construction thereon or therein of such works as may be necessary to make them available for such purposes and also including such research into problems of wildlife management as may be necessary to efficient administration affecting wildlife resources, and such preliminary or incidental costs and expenses as may be incurred in and about such projects.

CREDIT(S)

(Sept. 2, 1937, c. 899, ? 2, 50 Stat. 917; July 2, 1956, c. 489, ? 1, 70 Stat. 473; July 12, 1960, Pub.L. 86-624, ? 10, 74 Stat. 412; Dec. 21, 2000, Pub.L. 106-553, ? 1(a)(2) [Title IX, ? 902(c)], 114 Stat. 2762, 2762A-

I think Toby Bridges and Jim Beers better learn how to read...a comprehension course wouldnt hurt either.

THAT may be accurate but not very relevant. The funds were also used to purchase a private island. There is a great deal more money missing than anyone seems willing to believe.

No matter how one explains it, the funds have been (morally) stolen and used not at the SPORTSMEN WHO DEMANDED AND INITIATED Pittman intended........or those that are currently paying the tax.

THIS IS NOT a tax paid by those who observe and enjoy. This is a tax paid by those with guns and fishing rods. WE didn't want the wolves and we don't need private islands with mansions.

Buzz, you need to learn how to do some research. It can't be done by merely regurgitating a law. LEARN the history and check some accounting.

Yes, I have. I've spent more than 30 years as a banker. I started reading the Congressional Record in 1960. If one wants to accuse me of being a nerd, I may be guilty. However, I'm quite positive of the facts.

It looks like Beers is pretty much right on.....except he is understating the amount of money that has been stolen.

Buzz, you may want to go back and read the article again. Even if using funds from P-R fall under the proper use guidelines, Beers makes it clear the proper protocol wasn't followed and the proper request forms weren't filled out and submitted. Also, you must have missed the parts that talk about P-R funds being used to build offices in California. I have no doubt millions have been squandered/spent on things outside the intended realm, probably as gb22 says and far more than the amounts Beers states.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom