Plateau Antelope

RG13

I've got an archery antelope tag this year & we went down Saturday to scout. I helped a couple friends on this same hunt last year & there were easily 4 or 5 times the number of animals a year ago. Does anyone know if they transplanted a bunch from here or would the animals be utilizing different areas due to the wet spring/summer? Thanks

It seems as if there is a vendetta against those antelope up there. Tons of buck tags, Tons of doe tags, Multiple seasons, Transplanting.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]We have hunted antelope on this unit for about the last 3 out of 4 years and there are less antelope every year that we go up there. I would estimate that we saw about 2/3's less antelope from the first year trip to last year's trip.

Here's the email I got from the DWR when I asked about the numbers.

"I flew several times with him this winter, counting them repeatedly to try to determine what percentage of the animals we are really seeing from an airplane. We were consistently counting ~2000 animals- and our current management plan only calls for 1500 animals. Adding the fawns from this summer, we should have A lot of antelope up there! We are trying to put a lot of hunting pressure on them, as we are required to do our best to manage the population to our objective of 1500."

Interesting...

Interesting is right. If the DWR is correct, the only thing I can come up with is maybe the herd was way over objective the first year that I hunted it. I know there is a very noticeable difference in the amount of animals up there from 2005 to 2008. Everyone I have talked to up there says the same thing.

The Plateau unit is HUGE.. I also have an archery tag this year and had one there in 05 as well. I've made three trips down this summer and have a treestand set up on a spring that is getting pounded by lopes. While I do agree there may have been a few more animals a few years ago, This year I've seen some of the best bucks ever, even going back to when my wife had it in 1990. Here are just a few pics from this year, There was one particular day this year we counted 50 different bucks.
4a7b3c446f0ba630.jpg

4a7b3c6f6fe608c6.jpg

4a7b3caf71c22bbf.jpg

4a7b3d3a769c5647.jpg

Thanks for the post and the pictures guys I grew up real close to that mountain and my folks own a cabin near there I haven't been there in a number of years but have 3 points for antelope now and even though they don't have the biggest goats in the world I just can't wait to get back out on the Parker!!

Jordan

I will be up there for the anterless hunt. I drew again this year. I guess there aren't many non-residents that want to drive to UT to shoot a doe. I, however, think they are great eating. My wife makes a killer antelope pot roast.

I have spent alot of time on the Plateau the past few years. My wife drew a rifle tag in 2005 and my daughter drew an archery tag in 2007 and my oldest daughter drew a rifle tag last year. I have noticed a signifcant decrease in the population of antelope. There are still some nice looking bucks. My wife and oldest daughter both harvested bucks in the 70" range. Last years hunt wasn't hard but I saw more little yearly type bucks taken and fewer 13" + bucks harvested. I wonder why the DWR wants the objective at 1500? Are they over grazing or competing too much with cattle or other wildlife?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom