PLB vs SPOT Messenger

Timberdoodle

Wondering how many of you carry a Personal Locator Beacon or SPOT Messenger on your trips, and if you have any feedback on the positives or negatives of either.

I have a spot messenger, used it since Christmas, no complaints. I work with numerous people that use them as well, so far no complaints.

I've heard rumors about a new version with texting.

Kirby

When in doubt, floor it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you find a big stick.

i'll second that, i just had mine activated a couple weeks ago, and have had ever message go through just fine. i make sure i can see the sky , push the button and let it sit for 15 minutes until the light turns solid for 5 seconds, then i know it has been sent. so far i'm happy with it. i even sent it with my wife on a weeks float trip. everyday she got out of the water she sent me an o.k. message. all came through great.

I use the SPOT. I hope they place more indicator lights on the next version since more than one mode share the same lights and if you miss the 5 second light then you are uncertain if the task was completed. I turn my SPOT off during day sometimes to make sure I know what mode the device is actually in. I have had some activity go untracked when the SPOT is on my belt...best if lays flat when transmitting which is not easy when hiking. Hopefully the next version allows more flexibility.

Im always out by myself and I wouldn't leave home without my spot. I've had it for a year and its been on a 11 day pack trip, and other long trips were cell phones don't work. It makes my life so much easier when dealing with a over concerned wife. About a month before I got my spot I walked 25 miles for help in the Red Desert after a 4 wheeler breakdown with no cell signal. My wife and a friend found me at my truck in the morning after my truck also had a dead battery, lol. Text would be nice thou
Eric,
good customer service too

I have used a SPOT since Christmas as well. Pretty fun gadget, but I have a terrible time getting a satellite lock. My cheap Bushnell GPS will get a lock and the SPOT keeps flashing out of synch. (Can?t get a signal)
In all fairness, I have been testing the spot in some pretty nasty terrain. I am hoping to send a signal to a packer to help me pull out my elk this year (wish-full thinking I know) and I want to KNOW the signal went through.
I would definitely purchase the texting version when it comes out. (This one was a well received gift)

I don't care for mine. Its hard to use as directed. You have to lay it flat and watch it constanly just to figure out if it went thru. When I first got it I held it in my hand and sent the signal. Didn't work! If your not out in the wide open it won't work. Forbid if you get hung up in a canyon, your history. I tested it out at my house when I first got it and it took forever to view it on my computer. Unless I have a bad unit, which I don't think I do, this is not for me. Best of luck.

I have had and used a SPOT for over a year now. Never had a problem with it. It has always got a signal out even in the timber and canyons of Idaho.
My wife loves it as she gets a message everyday I'm out that all is well. Good hunting... Fred

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom