PLB's

idabigbuck

Does anyone have any opinions on Personal Locator Beacons. Which are the best for the money? What features should I insist on? After hearing and reading about the guy from Idaho that nearly died in the woods after breaking his leg on a solo hunt, it sounds like a must have! It would certainly give my wife some peace of mind, because if I can't get someone to hunt with me I'm going anyhow!

I carry a SPOT. The model I have you can custom write your own messages. spot makes several models

These messages will text up to a few numbers. when im out I send a message out about 2 times a day. it sends your own custom message with gps coordinates with a link to google maps to show where you are.

one message can be your alright
another saying send help im hurt.
one button will send GPS coordiantes to send in search and rescue and a helicopter.

here is a link
http://findmespot.com/en/

this link is the model I use. great investment
http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

I bought one this spring and went with the Delorme Inreach SE (not the Explorer). It has worked flawlessly to let my family follow my progress on Google Earth and send each other text messages. I like that you can text back and forth with rescuers if you need them. I feel knowing Search and Rescue's ETA, and them knowing your actual situation, could be invaluable.

Grizzly

The SARlink by ACR is a professional grade unit that will get Search and Rescue to your exact location. It is NOT a message service like SPOT, and there is no annual fee. It is only used for emergency communication.
They do have models and features that allow you to send messages, but these all have annual fees and consume battery life. I carry a PLB solely for communication in an emergency, and this model has a 10+ year battery life.
Bill

Buzzards! that's all this ol boy's likely to have! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have been using the Delorme Inreach SE the last couple months and have been happy with it. Great piece of equipment!

I have the ResQlink by ACR. It is the best professional grade PLB on the market.
ACR has several versions for various applications. When your life is on the line one can't skip to lesser devices to save $$$ because there is no other option if the lower quality device fails to connect a signal....your betting your life on the device you pick ACR is the best.

The ACR PLB sends a GPS emergency signal with location to the USCG command center in Washington DC. Then that command center dispatches the nearest search and rescue team to the PLB location. When you license the PLB
(No fee) and register the unit. You register your name, any medical history like heart issues as well as
Medications. So when your rescue team gets to you they not only know whom the person is they also are prepared to give on site medical aid based on your current conditions as well as medical history if you have chronic issues. You can update medical history as needed. THAT is priceless for someone like myself that has had X5 bypasses and on nitro and is crazy enough to go deep into the backcountry. Gives my wife some piece of mind.

))))------->

Don't mess with the SPOT unless you want your help to arrive a couple days later (speaking from experience). Go with a PLB from ACR. You register them with NOAA at the same spot commercial fishermen register their EPIRB units.

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/rgdb/

I have an ACR PLB and in the registration of the unit I made sure to note that I fish in the ocean and hunt in the western US. That way if they see a signal in the middle of no-where UT or NV they'll know it's not an error.

>Buzzards! that's all this ol boy's
>likely to have! lol
>
>Joey
>
>

Ah, nature's original location beacons!

(Joey, I'm not stalking you. It's just that I happen to agree with many of your posts)

Zeke

Coming from you Zeke, that means a lot, i appreciate it!

You've really had a another excellent year afield and i've enjoyed following along with your outstanding contributions.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom