PLEASE HELP BULL LOST - CENTRAL MANTI EARLY 2011 (UTAH)

J

JSIMONS

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-11 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]I DREW A BIG BULL TAG AFTER 15 YEARS OF WAITING. FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 23RD I SHOT A BULL IN EPHRAIM CANYON ON BUCK RIDGE. WE TRACKED HIM FOR 2 DAYS AND CANNOT FIND HIM. HE WENT INTI LITTLE BEAR CREEK CANYON BY THE FORK IN THE ROAD ON BUCK RIDGE. ANYONE WHO HAS SHOT AND LOST ANY ANIMAL KNOWS HOW I AM FEELING. I AM ASKING THAT ANYONE IN THAT AREA FOR ANY REASON PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN FOR A 360" TYPE 5x6 BULL ELK. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU SEE ANY SIGN OF HIM. I CAN OFFER A SMALL REWARD IF HE IS RECOVERED AND I CAN BRING HIM HOME. THANK YOU - JAELYN

No Offense Jsimons, but I have watched this board all fall, and I have been disgusted with how many posted on here about wounded animals and how the hunter who lost an animal seems entitled to recover that animal if found. It becomes the Hunters because he happended to be the one to wound and loose it! I say enough is enough, you did not make a clean kill shot, the animal got away from you, no matter how hard you tried you could not find it, It is not yours. Just because you drew a "coveted" tag does not gaurantee you horns on your wall. It is still a "HUNT" If you could not seal the deal. It is you the hunter that did not succeed. If someone walks upon "your" animal dead does it become yours because you failed to find it originally! I would never have the gall to even consider this, I would bust my but to find the animal, if not, Its on me, its over, it does not "belong to me". Another representation of an "entitled Generation" I am sorry to rant, but I was just not raised that way. Hunt to Hunt, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy the beauty of it all. A harvest is a bonus, not an entitlement!

Buck Ridge is not in Ephrain canyon. Must have been a heck of a bull to make 360" as a 5x6, hope you find him.

I agree with most of what you said dogwood. It makes me sick thinking of all those wounded animals out there that nobody finds. I think if you wound an animal you should have to cut your tag. (this is not against the OP since it sounds like he didn't harvest another animal). But think of all the hunters who wound an animal and then go on to kill another one. They just took an opportunity from somebody else.

People should spend a little more time at the range and only take shots that they are completely comfortable with. You owe it to the animal and to other hunters. (again, not aimed at the OP necessarily, he could have spent all summer at the range).

Now in the OP's defense, he did offer a reward to someone who could help him, so he isn't acting totally entitled.

@ C86MAN3 - After I shot and lost this bull I did not pursue any other bulls. I spent the last nights and days with friends and family searching high and low for this bull and we were unable to locate him. I have been back several times since looking and talking with other hunters on the following hunts to see if they had seen the bull alive or dead and passing out my information asking for help in locating him either way. I would like to know if he is alive so I am not constantly thinking that an animal such as he is out there just wasted. As for spending time at the range I and my husband spent from March to September on the mountain shooting 2+ times a week in anticipation of this hunt. I do not feel the "shot" was the problem. I shot the bull at 30 yards while with his heard and after I shot half of his heard ran at me and he ran away with the other half. I enjoyed my hunt, we hunted hard for 9 days straight and like I said before even some since just looking. I am simply looking for some sort of outcome and was hoping someone would help if they could. Entitlement is not what I was requiring, help is what I was simply asking for.

I truly hope you find him. Most hunters have had similiar things hapen whike hunting. One can practice and practice more, shooting. Still, things like this can happen.

Best of luck. I would post your experience in the General Forum as well...

>No Offense Jsimons, but I
>have watched this board all
>fall, and I have been
>disgusted with how many posted
>on here about wounded animals
>and how the hunter who
>lost an animal seems entitled
>to recover that animal if
>found. It becomes the Hunters
>because he happended to be
>the one to wound and
>loose it! I say
>enough is enough, you
>did not make a clean
>kill shot, the animal
>got away from you,
>no matter how hard you
>tried you could not find
Wow Dogwood your a ##### aren't ya! I hope the same or worse happens to you and everyone in your family.

>it, It is not
>yours. Just because you
>drew a "coveted" tag does
>not gaurantee you horns on
>your wall. It is
>still a "HUNT" If
>you could not seal the
>deal. It is you
>the hunter that did not
>succeed. If someone walks
>upon "your" animal dead does
>it become yours because you
>failed to find it originally!
> I would never have
>the gall to even consider
>this, I would bust
>my but to find the
>animal, if not, Its
>on me, its over,
> it does not "belong
>to me". Another representation
>of an "entitled Generation"
>I am sorry to rant,
> but I was just
>not raised that way.
>Hunt to Hunt, enjoy the
>outdoors, enjoy the beauty
>of it all. A
>harvest is a bonus, not
>an entitlement!

I think you are doing the right thing. Fact is elk are tough animals. Most people would have given up after 15 minutes and went and shot another one. Bunch of these "one shot wonders" have never waited 15 years for a tag only to see your dream bull run off with a bullet in him. I hope you find him dead or alive. Keep your skin thick cause alot of people on here are MMA keyboarders. Good luck!

>@ C86MAN3 - After I shot
>and lost this bull I
>did not pursue any other
>bulls. I spent the last
>nights and days with friends
>and family searching high and
>low for this bull and
>we were unable to locate
>him. I have been back
>several times since looking and
>talking with other hunters on
>the following hunts to see
>if they had seen the
>bull alive or dead and
>passing out my information asking
>for help in locating him
>either way. I would like
>to know if he is
>alive so I am not
>constantly thinking that an animal
>such as he is out
>there just wasted. As for
>spending time at the range
>I and my husband spent
>from March to September on
>the mountain shooting 2+ times
>a week in anticipation of
>this hunt. I do not
>feel the "shot" was the
>problem. I shot the bull
>at 30 yards while with
>his heard and after I
>shot half of his heard
>ran at me and he
>ran away with the other
>half. I enjoyed my hunt,
>we hunted hard for 9
>days straight and like I
>said before even some since
>just looking. I am simply
>looking for some sort of
>outcome and was hoping someone
>would help if they could.
>Entitlement is not what I
>was requiring, help is what
>I was simply asking for.
>

Sounds like you did it the right way, I wasn't trying to be rude in my post, that's why I made sure and said that things I was saying didn't necessarily apply to you.

That's a bad deal not being able to find a sweet bull like that. They are tough animals.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom