Poachers Convicted-24 Year Loss of Privileges

TOPGUN

Long Time Member
LANDER ? On December 15, 2014, a father and son from Hudson and Riverton plead guilty in the Ninth District Circuit Court in Lander to the wanton destruction of two, two-point buck mule deer. The incident occurred on October 16, 2014, along the Loop Road above Lander, Wyoming.

Robert E. Cherry, 59, pled guilty to two counts of wanton destruction of a two-point buck mule deer, and two counts of the waste and abandonment of those deer. Joshua E. Cherry, 22, pled guilty to being an accessory to the wanton destruction and waste of both deer, a crime which carries the same penalties as the principle charges.

The defendants were each ordered to pay $4,160.00 in fines and restitution for the illegally taken mule deer. The Cherry?s hunting license privileges were revoked for the next 24 years in Wyoming and 43 reciprocal states.

On the morning of October 16, Robert E. Cherry made the decision to kill two, two-point buck mule deer on public land near Lander. Robert and his son, Joshua E. Cherry, then decided to leave the animals and allow them to go to waste. The deer carcasses were discovered later that day by the Lander Game Warden and the intense investigation that followed led him to the Cherry?s by the next morning.

?This may be a case of someone misidentifying a two by two buck mule deer in a three-point or greater area and not being sure of their target,? said Lander Game Warden Brad Hovinga. ?The real problem here is the decision that was made after the mistake happened by choosing to abandon the deer and allow the meat to go to waste.?

Hovinga, continued: ?A true sportsman would contact a game warden after making a similar mistake to resolve the issue and they would likely end up with a much smaller fine, or even a warning. The deer meat certainly would not have gone to waste.?

>I think that punishment would make
>someone think twice about doing
>the same.

If more Judges would get serious with severe penalties like this, IMHO a lot of this stuff would come to a halt! I just posted this in the Wyoming Forum, since if it would have gone on the General I'm sure Tristate would have come on right away and said something negative like he always does when poaching and penalties are discussed.

Yep, you're right. That punishment would make even the low moral fiber individuals think twice. I like it!
Zeke

Almost 25 years ago my brother was living in Idaho and made a foolish mistake. He was right out of school, had a new wife and baby and was deer hunting alone, with the goal of getting meat not a trophy. He took a shot at a spike buck. He lost the buck in the recoil and when he got back on it, it was still standing there looking at him. He fired again and saw it fall. When he walked up to it, it was actually two spikes, both dead, laying one in front of the other. He cleaned both, put his tag on one and left them there then went back to town to get a warden. This was long before cell phones. After explaining the situation to the warden, the warden asked him if he could use both bucks. He said yes and the warden told him to take them both. He did not even cite or fine him and both bucks were processed by my brother and eaten by his family.

Owning up to your mistakes always pays off better than the alternative.

When then made the decision to leave the deer...game over.

I have no sympathy for them.

I saw a guy kill 3 2 points one year here in Wyoming, (he didn't realize he was hitting them). I found 2 of the dead deer and called a warden.

The warden was really good about it as the guy was just not too savvy and really did make just a dumb mistake.

The warden used the opportunity to educate them on the fact that a lot of times deer don't show reaction to hits, etc.

He issued a citation, the minimum fine for the offense, and allowed the guy and his buddy to keep 2 of the 3 deer.

Honest mistakes are much different than shooting animals and leaving them to rot.

"Honest mistakes are much different than
shooting animals and leaving them
to rot."

Amen!

I think we've been way too soft for way too long on blatant poachers. It's time to make guys think a little before they choose wrong over right!
Zeke

Are you sure that was 24 years having their hunting privileges revoked? I've never heard of it being that long even when the crime is alot worse. Just doesn't sound right. Not saying it doesn't seem right.

>Are you sure that was 24
>years having their hunting privileges
>revoked? I've never heard of
>it being that long even
>when the crime is alot
>worse. Just doesn't sound right.
>Not saying it doesn't seem
>right.

I agree. I think these two have a past history that is catching up to them. Either way I think the punishment is great.

>Are you sure that was 24
>years having their hunting privileges
>revoked? I've never heard of
>it being that long even
>when the crime is alot
>worse. Just doesn't sound right.
>Not saying it doesn't seem
>right.

That was a 100% C/P right off the email I got from the G&F! If the 24 years was a misprint, it was not on my part!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom