Poaching - Berry Game Calls

BrianID

Very Active Member
I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Filmed on location in idaho!

IDAHO FALLS - Filming the shooting of a big 6 x 6 bull elk in Idaho is something that should have been the perfect film subject for Glen Berry, owner of Big Bull Productions, a company that specializes in the producing videos of big game hunts all around the globe. The problem was that Berry was hunting the bull with a Montana tag! While the video that witnesses reported seeing being shot was never recovered, their precise GPS (Global Positioning System) marking of the kill site and nearly instantaneous reporting of the incident via cell phone to IDFG Senior Conservation Officer Lew Huddleston, helped earn Berry a film credit for poaching.

On September 19, 2005, witnesses observed Berry kill the big 6 x 6 bull elk approximately ? a mile inside Idaho. The site was astride the Idaho side of the Continental Divide, so little doubt could have existed as to what state the party was hunting. Additional confirmation regarding Berry's knowledge of the exact location of the kill site was confirmed by the fact that he purchased an Idaho elk tag after the bull had been shot!

The witnesses observed the kill site and recorded its location with a GPS and immediately reported the information to Officer Huddleston. This information and the ensuing investigation resulted in a 27 hour-long work day for Huddleston, something that is not all that uncommon for an Idaho Conservation Officer during the fall hunting season!

Whereas some film stars reap millions for their productions, Berry ended up costing him! He pled guilty to the four charges; Possession of an unlawfully taken big game animal, Hunting without an Idaho elk permit, Failure to validate his elk tag, and Violating the U.S. Forest Service Travel Plan. The penalties were the maximum for the possession, $1,000 plus court costs, $750 civil penalty, 180 days in jail and 3 years license revocation. The other three violations resulted in $9,000 in fines, plus court costs! Because Idaho is a member of the Wildlife Violator Compact, Berry will also not be able to hunt as part of his filming during the next three years in any of the 20 other member states!

Because his son Chad Berry was part of this big game shooting gone bad, he is scheduled for trial on possession of unlawfully taken animal in Clark County in January.

Here's a link to the source.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=2894

I don't like poachers, fish cops or ridiculous statements such as this
?Whereas some film stars reap millions for their productions?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-05 AT 10:02AM (MST)[p]If its true, its sad because for the non hunting public looking in, people like Glen Berry represent all hunters. If he is truly guilty he deserves what he has comming to him.

If this is true as it sounds it sure sheds light on the ugly side of hunting videos and the need to always get the kill no matter what the cost. I have purchased my last Glen Berry call or video. Thanks for the heads up.

Chad

A little off topic but with all the tech advances and the reduced costs of the same, I can see a time when big game tags will have some type of gps chip that will be required to be activated when you tag the taken game. Not only should this make it more difficult for this type of thing from happening but it would also alllow the game and fish to have more accurate info on harvest #s. Just a thought.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-05 AT 01:24PM (MST)[p]Since the story comes directly from the idaho Fish and Game web site it would seem to be true.

Good job to the 'Fish Cops' for nailing this ass to the wall. If there weren't 'Fish Cops' to do the dirty work who would?

No Berry products for the BeanMan,

BM

No Berry products here, nor will there ever be! Good job Idaho Fish and Game.

I don't know of this guy, but it sounds like he is (was) pretty successful. What a fool for throwing it all away.

Steve

This is just the first time he got caught. He has poached to elk here in oregon that I know of. One was off a refuge and one was tresspassing. The guys a scum bag.

I have a good friend that hunts the North East corner of Washington for the late Archery Whitetail hunt. He was hunting public land, on his way to his stand he ran into Berry and got his butt chewed for being in "his spot". My friend lost all respect at that momment. I really doubt my friend had any Idea that was his spot. One bit of redemption, my friend did shoot a 170 class whitetail from that stand.

I don't believe this because he had the same store about a elk shot on a refuge but this is what he posted on bowsit.com

I am Glen Berry and I would like to make this statement so all will know the truth. Until you have dealt with Fish and Wildlife you have no idea what I've been through. I would have the same opinion as most of you of a violator before this happened.

The events start on Sept. 16, 2005. My son, a good friend of mine, and myself arrive in unit 59 of Idaho and set up camp at Middle Fork Bench. We plan on bowhunting elk in Montana by accessing Montana through Mill Fork Canyon of Middle Creek Road, which is located in Idaho. The end of Middle Creek Road stops less than 1/2 mile from the Montana border. It is easier to access this area through Idaho, than it is through Montana. We were hunting in Montana for 2 1/2 days by accessing exactly the same way and were getting into several bulls. On the afternoon of Sept. 18 we had split up and Chad went with my friend. I walked up into a patch of timber. Suprisingly enough I spooked a herd of elk, with a 6x6 bull trailing a few cows. The bull stopped on the ridge, and gave me enough time for a shot. The herd ran over top into Idaho. I was unable to find my arrow and was unsure if I hit the bull. I met back up with Chad and my friend, and it was almost dark. The elk we had been hunting had moved further east into Montana. We decided that we were going to move camp the next day to hunt a different area, but decided we should make one more attempt to assure the bull I shot at hadn't been hit. On the morning of Sept. 19 we slept in until 7:00 a.m. and drove up Middle Creek Road. We parked the vehicle in the same place we had the previous 3 days. I decided to access Montana by walking up a drainage in Mill Fork Canyon to the east, since I wanted to return to the area I had shot at the bull in Montana the afternoon before, and this was the best way. We began walking up the drainage, when Chad said he was going to go to the bathroom and would catch up. My friend and myself continued up the drainage and heard a bull on the border. When I reached the very top of the ridge, a 6x6 bull stuck his head up. Thinking it was the same bull I had shot the previous afternoon, I shot the bull and the hit was in the neck. The bull ran down the 60 degree slope into Idaho. I recovered the bull approximately 400 yards into Idaho. I had shot the bull, and it appeared to have cut the bulls wind pipe. I was confused what to do, because although I had shot the bull in Montana, it had died in Idaho. I knew what the right thing to do was, and began to put my Montana tag on the bull, when my friend suggested I go buy an Idaho tag, because it wasn't worth taking a chance. Since we were packing the bull out through Idaho, and going to transport the bull out on the only dirt road, which was in Idaho, if by some chance we were stopped by a game warden and the bull has a Montana tag on it, and the game warden requests to go to where the bull died, it would be in Idaho, and then we would have to prove that the bull was shot in Montana. Against my better judgement, I decided to buy an Idaho tag, which was over-the-counter. When we returned with the tag, I realized that something was up, when a sheriff and the game warden had both went by our camp. Realizing that I had not tagged the bull immediately I was in big trouble. I was questioned and arrested. I signed a consent to search affadavit for the camera bag, my truck, and my trailor. They found no video tapes of the event because there were no video tapes. I plead guilty to all four charges although I hadn't shot the bull in Idaho. I knew it was the right thing to do because I hadn't put my tag on it immediately and took possession of the bull. To me it really doesn't make a difference if you have 2 or 3 or 4 violations, if you have one violation you are a violator. So, I decided against fighting the hunting without a tag charge and plead guilty to all four. I know that the witness said he saw me shoot the bull in Idaho. To let you know he changed that statement under oath at my review stating that he first saw us when we were at the bull, where it had died. For five to ten minutes he watched us. When we had left, he went down to the bull with another friend and saw it was untagged. This is when they called fish and game because they believed it had been illegally taken. The witnesses took dna samples and gps coordinates of where the bull was found dead. The game warden never went to examine the bull or the site, or tried to figure out what really happened. My son was also charged with unlawful possession. He was not hunting, he did not have a weapon in camp, and was only there to help. He never touched or took possession of this animal, until the game warden requested Chad and my friend to retrieve the bull so it would be salvaged. He made no decisions on the taking of this bull verbally or physically. I had an Idaho hunting license. If I wanted to hunt the Beaverhead zone, I would of simply bought a $370.00 tag.

I have been bowhunting for 33 years and have never had a game violation. I have made it a point never to take the easy route. I made a mistake, and paid my price. I spent 30 days in jail, and paid just over $3,000 in fines. I also received 3 years loss of hunting rights in 23 states and am currently on probation. I was given such a stiff penalty not because of what I did, but who I am. Assumptions were made and they felt I was trying to profit off the state of Idaho, by intentionally hunting and attempting to film a hunt illegally, which is not the truth. I do not hunt exclusively in front of a video camera. I am a family man, who enjoys hunting with my daughter, my son, and my friends, the same way I did 30 years ago. I have never considered myself a celebrity. The people I deal with at sport shows or seminars have always looked up to me because I have always came across as a down-to-earth, average guy, who likes to hunt. Maybe some people make millions off hunting videos and outdoor t.v. shows, but I have never made very much money from t.v. or videos. I have built a business around my game call company. People know my morals and my character. I have been doing this for 23 years. I know what happened out there and I am not going to hang my head with shame. I know I have made a mistake, but I feel people should be entitled to atleast one mistake in their life. This is the first time I have ever hunted near a state line, and not had tags for both states. To the organizations I belong to and the individuals who support me, I would like them to take in consideration what I have contributed to the sport of archery and bowhunting over the past 23 years. I ask them to judge my character for who I am, not one unfortunate incident.

Glen Berry

If you ask the inmates, they're all innocent, or made an innocent mistake, or have learned their lesson, and there's really no need to keep them locked up. Even if it went down exactly as the statement posted by Tradman says, justice was served, and he got what he deserved - or less.

As for the statements by skunkterd, I don't like poachers, or for that matter chickenterds too yellow to post their real name on their profile.

Since they're human, I'm pretty sure there are some bad game wardens somewhere, but I haven't met one yet. Know a lot of good ones.

oh wow, i'm a glen berry fan for sure now. he shot at one bull, didn't try to see if it was wounded that day. went back, saw another bull and shot it, assuming it was the same one. (did i read that right?) then didn't tag it. then tried to take it out through the wrong state with no tag. and on and on. what a crock. sounds to me like if he would have tagged it immediately, he would at least have a leg to stand on. poor guy. we oughta all feel sorry for him. his call suck anyway. so does his stupid @$$ed show on the men's channel. what a loser and a phony. did he invent the cough silencer and the elk decoy?

Sure would have made a better defense if he would have just put the montana tag on it. I harvested a deer in Wyoming and brought it home to Idaho. Stopped at the Idaho check station. No one questioned the wyoming tag on a buck killed prior to season being open in Idaho. (it was opening day in Idaho and the deer had obviously been dead for a day) so that garbage about using an Idaho tag on a montana elk because they were traveling through Idaho is just that...garbage. Seems pretty silly to not buy an over the counter tag for Idaho up front as they were pretty concerned about buying one after the elk was dead. And like was said before, not following up on the "elk I thought I hit" Give me a break, the guy at a minimum did not immediately tag his animal which probably would have avoided the whole situation.

...and I do believe the video existed. Whether it still does, or was destroyed, only Glen knows.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

chef, i know a guy that got busted with an outta season elk. when the wardens hauled him off in cuffs one of em said "it ain't all that bad. you'll probably get to eat at least some of it while you're in jail". maybe this berry dude will get to do the same thing.

I have hunted Montana from the Idaho side and do not worry about bringing an elk shot from Montana through Idaho. It happens every year in every state. As long as the animal is taken legally a person has nothing to worry about. It is not about how you access a unit it is about if you shoot the animal in the proper unit.

yes I read through the posts on bowsite , and must say berrys explanations or both vague and weak.

this is a sad testament to what happens when greed rather than recreation becomes the motive for hunting

when I watch these hunting shows I see a complete lack of respect for the game. They are thanking their sponsers for helping the hunt out before the animals even dropped to the ground. they are scoring them and laughing when they should be dressing the animal

jon

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom