Poaching Penalty

Stonefly

Very Active Member
I have read in different forums about the penalty received for different people who poach. The response from MM's differs on weather the penalty is to much or not enough., So, what do you folks think a "fair" penalty would be, for a few different situations. Lets say the "honest mistake", "Smidging the Rule", "I dont care what it take to have a trophy", and the "I'll make a huge profit when I sell it " jerks.

Tough to say. I think punishments should fit the crime, so with said, it becomes very fact based. Not all 'honest mistakes' are created equal, as an example.

I agree with Vanilla. The punishment should fit the crime.

There will always be a few "accidents" but usually it's a case of greed mixed with low moral character that causes the problem.

Story time:
In Nebraska, my son-in-law shot a whitetail with his muzzleloader and when he walked over to it he found 2 deer. He was shocked until he remembered that he had plenty of tags to cover the "accident"! This is rare but certainly not unheard of.

The penalty should increase exponentially the further we move away from an honest "accident".

I'm glad I don't have to be the one to decide.
Zeke

To me an honest mistake is accompanied by a phone call to the fish cop.

Once you cut off the head, or transport, its not a mistake and IMO it that crime should be a felony with mandatory jail time.

Once you kill it, cut off a head, then sell it, it should be accompanied with mandatory PRISON TIME.

In the 38yrs that I have been in the field I have never seen an instance when someone accidentally cut the head off an animal.

Now, shooting and leaving and animal, not in season, not in unit, etc, should come with JAIL TIME.

No one wants honest mistakes to be puinished, but to pretend that we can't differentiate honest mistakes with poaching, they are either stupid or have something to hide.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Hey Hoss,
Read about the guys in the Wyoming forum and the sweet penalty they got.
Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom