Point Creep

T

tstewy

Ok i did the math and there is no way in hell im ever going to get myself a deer tag if the system stays the same assuming that i never get luck here are the stats going in to this year with 0 pts how long it would take to be assured a tag. For any wepon.
Books 23yrs
Fillmore 36yrs
Henreys 226yrs
Lasal 43yrs
Pauns 31yrs
1000 lakes 16yrs
SJ 32yrs
Dimond 20yrs
Vernon 21yrs
So what can we do? Combine all Deer pts,Make over the counter elk/spike a draw and you pick le spike anybull unit you pick your posin this is the only way we are going to make a dent in the creep a utah tag for any species is a once in a life time tag.

Look at the bright side, there is one factor not taken into consideration (if you are younger). All of those higher point people ahead of other people starting to build points for one species have strong odds on them passing away first, lowering the higher point numbers. Like me, I am 36 and drew my elk tag in 2010. Now starting to build my deer points or elk in 5 years and know there are a fair amount of people older than me that will croak by the time I hit around 80 years old and still in my prime. In doing so, thinning the point pool and pass thier "guaranteed" tags on down the line so I can hit it hard while I am still willing and able.

lol I think by the time i draw a deer tag i will be in my late 40's or early 50's on a 160 class hunt after that i will be done. The state has got to do something though it is out of hand.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 07:21AM (MST)[p]Ha Utah big bull.... in your prime at 80.. They way you was going at 36 on the dutton i would of guessed you at 80. The tallest 80 year old i ever seen but still 80.. Ha Ha Im thinking your prime has passed you up already boss. Best talk the wife into releasing the tension on the boys down stairs and start puttin in out of state with me.

It is definitely time to apply out of state, get a decent elk tag every few years vs twice in a lifetime for Utah...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-11 AT 08:41AM (MST)[p]Ah, you can't complaighn, I kept up with you pretty good. How does it feel to know an old fat bastage was damn near keeping up with a Marine? semper-fi baby! I might be a bit slower but it comes in handy come time for packout lol. As you seen, after I get my knee surgery, the body will kinda be there but the mind is slipping.

I think they should do like NV and any year you hunt deer of any kind whether it is on a crappy unit or the Henrys, you loose ALL your deer points. You DON'T get a point if you hunt on a 2nd choice tag, and you loose all your points even if you buy a leftover over the counter tag. No waiting period, but you start over at 0 points after every deer tag you get.

Another ideas, cap bonus points at 10. That way after 10 years of applying everybody has the same chance at a bonus tag.

There isn't going to a real solution to this problem that doesn't hurt a little and make at least some people mad. The bottom line is that there is just way more demand than there is supply.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Increasing the elk tags has just doubled the amount of people starting to put in for deer, so now we will have the same logjam we had with elk.

The only way we will ever do away with pt creep is to change the draw system. If we would change to the same draw system that nevada uses the pt creep would start to disappear. Draw hunts by application and make every choice count. When you draw a tag you lose your bonus pts no matter what choice 1st or 5th. Nevada has the best draw system in the western states and Utah should go to the same one.

Or you could just shoot big deer in the general units like some people do year after year....not me.

I talked to a taxi in Southern Utah and he said that the biggest bucks he takes in consistently come from the general units...

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Could be nonresident waiting for a third tag to your hunt after the expo takes the second just to take one out of the logjam ahead of you:) I guess there was one top pool tag last year...so one applicant waiting for the Henries is down by drawing...but it's been since before the expo that last happened:) Bison, sheep...same:)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom