point of diminishing return ?

B

bigtom

i called hogedon and they told me the point of diminishing return was well over 150gr of 777 they also told me to shoot what the gun manufacturer recommends and 777 is measured out the same as the pyrodex select i was use to shooting .my gun is rated for 150gr of powder . everyone keeps telling me that 100gr will shoot about the same as 150gr . since i dont have a chronograph would someone please go out and shoot a 240gr hornady xtp/sabot with 140gr of 777 and tell me just how fast it shoots.the can of 777 says it goes 1810 fps.im getting excellent groups with 140gr of powder. and i know it kicks pretty hard but i think the flatter trajectory is worth it .the 130gr load of powder shot about the same group , 150gr was about 4-5" group all over the place . so if anyone has any info let me know please.i would like to get to the bottom of this magical "100gr" powder charge and see who is telling me the truth about the velocity . thanks , tom

bigtom: Your wish is granted!! Because of everything that I have heard about 777 since I got back I am going to do some test firing next week. I will post the results when I get back.

thank you very much bluelk .i cant wait to hear the results !!!!
i was just about to order a cronograph from cabelas , and i think i still might do it , do you have any thoughts on which one i should get ? if im only getting a few feet per second for 40gr more powder ill drop back down to 100 or 110 and see how they shoot . i started at the top and worked down from 150 to 140 then 130 and i got such a good group with 140&130 i didnt try the 120-100 gr loads .my theory was that it kicked so much more it had to be going alot faster , and i just might be talking out my ass so im glad you are going to set the record straight .again thank you very much for doing some testing im sure everyone will really appreciate your results , later tom

bigtom: Here's what I've heard, and what I am going to test to see if it's true. ffg 777 is the way to go. What I am hearing is that the fffg 777 is "too hot". Another thing, a lot of recoil doesn't necessarily mean that the bullet is going faster. It could be that you are creating so much pressure behind the bullet that gas is escaping around the bullet and the bullet is traveling any faster. You could be getting the greater recoil just because you're burning more powder.

Tom, I don't have my chorony with me here, it's up at the ranch, but you can't go wrong with any of them. You don't need to have the most expensive made. You will not believe how they will open your eyes about how much powder to use!! I wouldn't even begin to work up a hunting load without one. It will be some of the best money you have ever spent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom