Point system

JACOB2006

Better jump over to Colorado column and see how long points take to draw. Then you will understand why no one here wants it.

BINGO!!

I cringe every time someone says we need points here, and was afraid that is what the OP would be pushing.

Makes no difference: bonus or preference - all weighted systems increase the odds of a few by decreasing the odds of others.

We have the fairest system around. And if for some reason you can't cough up $ to apply in a particular year, you're right back in the same mix next year, as opposed to points systems.

Also look at AZ. They just changed their system too because it was broken. Sure, it does make it a little better for those just getting started or with few points, but it was at the expense of the die hards who have been applying for decades. Just one more example of why points are a mess.

NM seems to have just as bad of draw odds as any state with or with out a pref. type system. I missed one season during there only bonus period so that did not work for me but would have.I have been very loyal at applying for at the very least the last 20 years for 1 deer tag and my wife 1 elk tag, ill still try points or not,maybe get to hunt my national forest some day. pts have been good to me and with all the hunts that my wife and I can draw with our pts I may not even live long enough.have a le deer and antelope tag I decided to use this year and drew it like an otc tag with the pts.I have shot more than a dozen elk waiting for NM may even get another dozen before 1 in NM good luck.

It really does not matter to me.

The same people that claim they cannot go hunting or their kids cant go hunting will be the same ones that will not figure out the point system.

I am fine with a point system because then I could plan my hunts better.

I am also fine with the current system because all 3 choices count, and if you figure out how to apply you or a friend or family member will go on some good hunts every year.

There is pros and cons with both systems.......I have had one quality NR elk tag in NM in 15 yrs....in Colo I have had one quality NR deer tag in 12 yrs......

Agreed its harder for the n.r. to draw a good tag here, its also hard for ANYONE to draw hunts with 60 tags allotted and 2500 applicants trying for one. I agree 100% with Paul. If people would take time to do math and actually figure things out you can hunt mostly every year. Me my wife and son all drew elk tags this year and the last 5 also , but thank god and simple math .

i can't se why anyone would want a point system. i have drawn 5 gila bow tags in past ten years as a non resident. with a point system i would be lucky to get one tag. god bless new mexico

I will say this about New Mexico (I grew up there, so I have experience as a Resident, and NonRes spanning 30 Years), I believe the Game and Fish Department is missing a massive revenue stream by not making everyone buy a licence to apply, and offering some kind of Points system (My vote would be to copy Nevada's). Make it for Non-res only, like Wyoming, if it's unpopular with residents. I believe if they would implement that, they could stop raping and pillaging you guys' fantastic Oryx, Ibex and Barbs (Not to mention, doing a better job with the Deer Herd). I am baffled at how they are managing the exotic herds. I have personally hunted them all, and had good hunts 10+ years ago, and it appears to me they are majorly over-exploited these days, I'm sure, in the name of raising $$ for an underfunded department.

my $.02

>is more trouble than it's worth.
>

Yep, without listing all the pros and cons, that's my opinion also.

A point system for non residents or ANYONE for that matter is just completely crazy compared to the system now. The guy above stated he's drawn 50% over ten years in the gila , points would allow maybe 1 in ten years . long live the lottery draw! Other issues with the game department could definitely change but not the draw.

For every testament like this, there is the other side..... I have a very good friend who hasn't drawn a deer tag in 19 years, and multiple family members that haven't drawn a Gila Bull tag in over 10 years (All Resident). I have drawn 2 Gila Archery tags in the last 6 years, but I don't apply every year, where-as I don't miss buying a license and points in multiple states that offer them.

Just lost $$, that could be applied elsewhere.

..then there's the opposite...I quit all other states,mostly due to point BS. Costs where close second.OR,UT & AZ got greedy.
Flushed 9 useless UT points.11 CA elk points. I forget the deer #s, among many others 8 yrs ago.

I have never drawn a Gila elk tag,in 26 yrs.8 as res.
But I have drawn MB 6 for 8 as res ,non prime units.10 as NR.
Same with deer,26 deer tags in 28 tries.Non prime units.

Don't know how a resident goes 19 yrs without a tag,besides not knowing how to apply or what for, besides a prime unit.

I would rather use a LO tag or OTC here than bother elsewhere anymore.
NMG&F should raise resident tag costs if they need $. Our tags & fees are way less than anywhere really.
They already screwed the NR ca$hcow. The cow tags for res only are a perfect example.

+1 Hank

I am a NR and I apply myself and my family for New Mexico elk every year for the past ten years.

During that time i have also applied (bought points) for all big game species in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming.

Now consider that in ten years the only tags we have drawn are in New Mexico and we have come up empty handed only a couple of years.

So, 10 years of applying throughout the West and only successful in the New Mexico draw. (3 elk tags this year out of 9 applicants).

My trophy wall consists of 5 bull elk, and one antelope from NM in ten years. Zero in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming where i apply for ALL species.

If you do your homework/research you can consistently draw tags in NM as a NR.
I pray the NM draw system never changes. (Again)

PS: My Family has made it a tradition to vacation in New Mexico each year during our hunt. Last year there were 11 of us who traveled to New Mexico, I always rent a cabin, and we spend money at all the local merchants, restaurants, and tourist sites. Way better than Disney World!

Thank you New Mexico for all the memories.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom