Poll........................................What bow do you shoot?

• Thread starter idahoelkinstructor
  • Start date
I

idahoelkinstructor

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-07 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]I would dare say that most of the archers on here are from the west. So I am wanting to find out what us western boys or gals for that matter shoot. I have see other polls like this in archery talk, bowsite and hunting net. And each time the vast majority of archers are from back east. So that is why I am hoping that just us westerners answer this so I can put to rest my couriousty to find out what we are buying/shooting here in the west. Some might think well who realy cares, and thats true. But with working part time in a Archey Shop for the last two years I still get surprised from time to time by people and there thought process when setting out to buy new bows. A good example of this is just last week a fellow walked in and wanted to shoot the new Mathews Drenalin. After shooting it only once, he claimed that his decision was between the new Drenalin, and a budget priced PSE Firestorm from anther shop in town. I was kind of taken back and thought he was joking, after all who would compare a top of the line $800 bare bow to a budget priced package $400 bow? But he was serious and he said he didn't care about price difference and he narrowed his pick down between these bows that he said felt the very best to him. I was thinking OK, whatever you say after all the customer is always right! lol. In our shop (Archery Idaho) here in south east Idaho, we sell Mathews, Martin, Fred Bear, and Jennings. Of course Mathews is what we sell the most of, its the bread and butter for the business. IMO they are the best bow on the market out of all of them, but thats just my opinion, and many will dissagree and I will not argue one bit. After all everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, with out it the world would be boring. I will say that without Mathews the doors would be closed, for every bow we sell of the other brands we sell at least one or two Mathews. Our next best seller is the lower priced, but excellent quality Fred Bear bows. I'll just quickly say that for a archer with a tight budget in need of a new bow. Well in that price range Fred Bear bows are hard to beat period! We also sell many to archers wanting a good back up bow to thier high priced, top end bows. Sure they don't have have all the bells and trimings of the high dollar bows, but on the other hand they are smooth shooters with excellent quality for the money. If you haven't shot one latley, go do so I bet you are surprised in a good way. Moving on down the list is Martin, we do sell a good number of Martin bows each year, but not as many as Fred Bear. I think this is becasue half of the Martins cost almost as much as a Mathews but they don't shoot any better than the Fred Bear bows. Next in line at the bottom of the list is Jennings, being honest we sell hardly any Jennings bows, which is kind of weird because they too are good bows at a good midrange price, much like some of the Martin bows but just not popular with archers for some reason. Anyway here are my questions for everyone, also please no flame wars over what bow is better, feel free to state what bow you do feel is the best, but please don't argue over it. If you are not from the west, please feel free to respond, but if you don't mind say where you are from. So I can take that into account, don't mean to offend in any way. Sorry this is so long, and I thank you in advance for you answers and time. Jason

1) What bow or bows do you shoot?

2) Do you shoot competition too, or are you just a average
targetshooter/bowhunter?

3) How many different bow brands do you own/have owned?

4) How long have you been archery hunting?

i shoot a 65 lb. martin savanah with 340 full metal jackets and 200 grain points. i have owned several hoyts mathews (the best compound) until i decided to go traditional. have been archery hunting for about ten years.

Currently shooting a Bowtech Liberty VFT and love it . I also have a PSE Firestorm Lite .Have owned other PSEs', Jennings and McPhearson. My daughter shoots a Hoyt but has also owned a eagle and my youngest daughter shoots a Mathews...

1. I just got a reflex Carabou 2 weeks ago so that will be my latest bow. I retired my Browning Storm after 10 years, before that it was a PSE Mach 1 with overdraw, before that a Golden Eagle and a Hoyt Prohunter. and I usualy use fingers and don't care for a release much.

2. In the 80's and early 90's I shot compitition in the NFAA, and Bowhunted during the fall.

3. 6

4. 31 years

(1) I shoot a Mathews Switchback and Ovation
(2)I dont shoot competitive . I do really enjoy shooting groups in my backyard. Year around.
(3)Bows I've owned , Browning, Martin and Golden Eagle.
(4)Been bowhunting off and on for over 25 years. I've been back into it seriously for 2 years.

1) I am shooting a Bowtech Tribute now.

2) Don't have the time to shoot competition.

3) I have owned 4 bows from 4 different manufacturers. Started with a Golden Eagle Super Turbo Hawk in the late 80's, then a PSE Mohave, then a Hoyt XTEC, now the Tribute.

4) How long have you been archery hunting? 16 years when possible, had to take several years off in the middle.

I grew up in California and have lived in Oklahoma, Colorado, and Texas(now).

I will add that I really like the Hoyt bows and have considered getting a Pearson bow when looking at a budget price range.
To choose between bows I would want to look at: Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Ross, Elite, Pearson, and possibly Fred Bear. I don't know if it is possible to carry that many bows in 1 shop, I have never seen it. I can't even find one shop with Hoyt,Bowtech, and Mathews under one roof. Makes it hard to make a decision.

I have hunted with bow 29 years.... 1st bow was a Brownung Drakmaster... then I bought a Martin... then I bought a Bowtech Solo.. and now a Bowtech Tribute... never shot competition....just like to hunt with a bow.

I shoot a Bowtech/Diamond Black Ice I just purchased it but have been shooting a Browning Illusion which I have been very happy with as well

Hoyt Protech, long limbs, like to shoot fingers.

Never shot any competitions.

Have shot Browning (started with recurve), PSE, Martin, and Hoyt. Still have and sometimes shoot a Martin Longbow.

Bowhunted for 27 years.

I have been bowhunting since 1984. Was shooting a bow for about 4 years before I ever hunted.

I shot competitively for 4 years. I shoot year round and still shoot 3D's but not competitivley because non of my friends do and I like to shoot with them.

The bows I have owned over the years are

Browning
Hoyt
Hoyt
Pro Line
Blue Mountain
PSE
PSE
Hoyt
Bowtech (only three weeks old)

I liked my Blue Mountain, PSE 3D Dominator and my Allegiance the best, with my current setup the most.

But the guy does have a point. I don't think one can really tell the difference after one shot and in-experience has a lot to do with it but. If I was shooting two bows and they both felt the same to me and one was twice as much...I'd buy the cheaper one. But that is just inexperience on his part, not being able to tell the difference.

I've been bow hunting for three years. Only took a second to switch after I shot a friends bow. I have a few other buddys who bow hunt but never considered it cause Im left handed. But luckily one was and happened to be up during achery season with him and fell in love with shooting his bow. Just so happens he wanted to buy a new one and said I could hang on to it until I bought one for myself. Three years later and still use his.

Its a Pse hunter set at 70lbs. I haven't shot anything else so I don't know what it feels like to shoot another bow. I've only hunted elk and have missed twice two years in a row. This last year I hunted for deer and nailed My first Muley with it!!! I am hooked for life. Wont even consider using a rifle. I reside in Washington.

Clyde

I've shot just about every bow manufacturer's product at some point in my archery career. I've been shooting bows for about 36 years and have hunted exclusively with archery close to 30 years.

My primary hunting bow (compund) has been a Hoyt for at least 20+ years. I currently shoot a ProTec.......but I'm changing brands, as I have a BowTech Guardian on order.

My primary traditional bow is a custom Brackenbury recurve. I have, however, several "other" bows that take up storage. :)

I primarily hunt, but I also shoot outdoor competition during the off-season.

Over the years, I've owned the following bows: Hoyt, Proline, Martin, PSE, Mathews, Jennings, Bear, Golden Eagle, Brackenbury, Dan Quillan, Black Swan, Herterz, Pearson.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I currently hunt with a Mathews LX but have been shooting 3D's competitively with a Bow Tech Allegiance. The Guardian keeps calling my name though.
I have bow hunted for 26 years and my first hunting bow was a Bear Whitetail Hunter.
I have owned Bear, Martin, PSE, Mathews, HC, and Bowtech.

I should have started off answering my own questions.

1) As if you didn't already know, I shoot Mathews, I own both the 05 Switchback and the 06 Switchback XT, I also have a 04 Mathews Conquest 3. Later this spring I will also own the Drenalin. Sure thats a lot of Mathews bows but hey its part of being in the business. If you the salesman don't own the latest and greatest then somtimes it hard to convince customers why they need it too. lol. Might not make a lot of since but I am just telling it like it is. lol In addition to my current bows I do own a 1997 Martin Fury and a 1991 Golden Eagle Forumla 3-D. Both of these I can't part with simply because they have to many good and successful memories in the field with them. I am glad to see few others started off with Golden Eagle bows too. My very first bow at age 14 was a golden Eagle Falcon, I used it for three years until I upgraded to the Formula 3-D. I sold that Falcon to help pay for the new acessories. I know this sound silly but I kind of wish I still had that bow too just for memories. If I remember right I only got somewere around $60 for that bow, which was enough to buy a so so sight and rest.

2) I don't shoot competition yet, but thats soon to change. Thats what the C-3 is for, I picked it up used at a good price. Competition is a whole new world to me and I have a lot to learn about it, I hope to have the new kid in the candy store kind of feeling. If not oh well at least I will be learning something new about are wonderful sport. I do know that I love archery hunting and I could never give up my archery elk hunting, that feeling each and every fall never gets old no matter how many times the game is played!

3) I have owned and hunted with only three brands of bows, but I have bought and sold many others. Several of these other brands that I bought and sold, I owned for almost a year before reselling. All at different times in my life I had a Hoyt, XI, and a PSE that I started to think I was going to have to give away to get rid of. During the time that I owned them I did get to shoot them many of times with a lot of arrows. Most of those shots were take in the process of trying to show/sell the bow to a wouldbe buyer. But over all I don't count them becaue I never hunted, or planed to hunt with them so I feel that they were not a part of me.

4) I have been archery hunting for 18 years.

I shoot a Mathews Switchback, a Pearson Generation II, and my Mathews Apex should be here this week. My wife shoots a Mathews Mustang.
I shoot competitively, and year round. Currently shooting 3D as well as 5 spot and Vegas leagues and tourneys every week, and most weekends. The two best ways I have found to become a better shot are 1.)Shoot year round. 2.) Shoot competitively, you learn to deal with nerves, adrenaline, a pounding heart, etc. The next time the animal of your dreams steps out, you go into autopilot.
The only other bow I have owned besides those listed above was a PSE.
I have been bowhunting for 20 years.

Lien2

I shoot a Mathews Switchback.

I'm first and foremost a hunter, but I do shoot 3d comp., mainly for practice but also becaus it is fun.

I have also owned a cheapo PSE, and my brother shoots a Vengence so I have some experience with their stuff too.

I'm from CA but hunt many Western states depending on the drawing results.

Only been a bow guy for a few years.

Western hunter here.

I shoot a hoyt ultratec cam and 1/2

I shoot some 3D but not much anymore

I have owned 4 different.
Bear, golden eagel, clearwater, hoty

15 years of hunting.

Got to go with HOYT! I shoot an ultra-tec but am getting into traditional. I have owned Darton, PSE, Martin, and Hoyt. I try to shoot as many 3-D's as I can, mostly for fun. I have been bowhunting for 10 years.

Western Hunter
1. I just bought a 1 year old Browning Illusion.I still have my old PSE Thunderflight for back up.So far I like the new Browning.I havent shot many different brands.I am sure they are all good. I havent heard much about the Browning Illusion.Has anyone?
2.I have only shot in 2 shoots in my life.Mostly just backyard.
3.I have shot PSE my hole life until buying the Illusion this past season.The guy gave me a good deal and I just wanted an upgrade.
4.I have been shooting a bow since I was 5(24 years), but actually hunting for 17 years.Hope this helps.

1) Bowtech Allegiance

2) I shoot in a local 3D league, but really just to practice for the elk and mule deer season. Could get addicted to this 3d stuff though, it has been alot of fun.

3) Browning , Hoyt, Bowtech

4) 15 years

I LIVE IN CASPER WY I SHOOT A MARTIN PANTHER UNTIL LAST WEEK I SOLD IT TO BUY A MARTIN BENGAL.I SHOOT A REFLEX BIGHORN BEFORE THAT AND A BEAR HORIZON HUNTER JR. BEFORE THAT. I SHOOT 4H AND LOCAL COMPETITION SINCE I WAS 8. NOW I TRY TO TRAVEL AROUND THE STATE TO SHOOT COMPETITIONS NOW THAT I'M 21. I DO FAIRLY WELL MOST OF THE PEOPLE THAT BEAT ME IN COMPETITIONS SHOOT MATHEWS OR HOYT. WITH AN OCAIONAL BOWTECH. I ALSO HUNT WITH THESE SETUPS.

MOSELEY MIDDLETON

2006 Bowtech Tribute w/Spot Hogg SDP & QT Drop Away 4000.
2005 Bowtech Mighty Mite w/Spot Hogg SDP & QT Drop Away 4000.

targetshooter/bowhunter?

Just an average target shooter and bowhunter. Shoot at the AFA in Colorado Springs often.

Bowtech and Browning!

4 Years (took a 15 year break). Started young, stopped, and took it up again in my late 20's.

I've been at it for 6 Years, I was a slow learner, but I will never turn back now.

I've owned 2 bows, a Mathews Conquest and currently a Mathews Outback.

Hunting is my passion but in the off season I hit as many 3D's as I can, I don't mind the competition but I'm really in it for the practice.

Coon

North Central Washington.

Been into archery since about '91

Stopped archery hunting for several years untill last year. Shot my bows on and off over those years though.

Hunted last season with a Reflex buckskin.

Just bought a new Hoyt Trykon though. I shot pretty much all the top end bows and decided on the Trykon. I went with the Trykon over the new Vectrix simply because I could buy a new 2006 model Trykon for under $500.00. I hear the Vectrix is even better though.

I have also been getting into traditional shooting with recurves. I find it a lot funner plinking with a recurve and I may even try hunting with one some day.

I started out way back with an old Browning compound. My first "top end" sort of bow was a PSE Carrol Intruder that I had untill last year when I bought the Reflex.

I own 3 recurves. A Damon Howatt Super Diablo, York Thunderbolt and an Old Ben Pearson Collegiate.

-Lowedog

I shoot the Hoyt Trykon. Fast and smooth but it has a hard back wall. I shoot for practice and hunting with alot of 3D walk throughs. My first bow was a Bear that I bought when I first started hunting at the age of 12. Bought my second bow which was a Martin at age 16 and shot that until I bought my Hoyt last year at the age of 30. Absolutly loved the Martin and Hoyt. I live in Western Washington which people on the eastside either call the leftside or the wetside.

Bowtech Patriot..in need of an upgrade (want list Gaurdian, or Elite Synergy....hmmm tax man might be good this year?)

shoot 3d for fun but might take it to another level just picked up a Tox naildriver and a carter thumb release WOW talk about somthing smooth that carter is fun thing to shoot if you have not tried one its A GOT TO TRY!

My first pounder bow was a BEAR WT II remember those things? Few pse from Mach 6 to a baby G.

Bow hunting from the age 12 with a few years in there if it was not powered by boobs gunpowder or gas i wasnt interested! Been nothing but bow for the last 12 years

I shoot and hunt with a Mathews Legacy bow. I just bowhunt and shoot 3-d for huntlike practice and fun. I have bowhunted 24 years. I have owned a kit compound that I made in jr high school and then PSE polaris, high country ulrta force and then the Mathews Legacy. So Jason your gonna break down and get that Drenaline? I think you should get it in a RT hand 30 inch draw length he he.

Montana

I fling arrows with a ROSS.
The ROSS archery bows are very impressive...

Utah!
I have bowhunted exlusivley since I was age 14. I'm now 27 so you guys can do the math. To this day, I have never hunted deer with a rifle, the bowhunting bug bit me too hard. I have yet to kill a Pope and Young buck but love to try each year. I shot competition in my teenage years. I have shot Hoyt and PSE's always. I currently am shooting a PSE Mach 10.

I have shot bows for the last 13 years. I have shot and owned most of the top bows on the market. I have stuck with hoyt for the past 5 years. I do shoot comp archery and some indoor stuff as well. I just bought a new Hoyt a few weeks ago. Its in the mail though. If U are just into hunting just about any bow will do. If U like shooting comp archery and want to be in the running this will limt u to 2to3 bows out there. I know in my area for marked 3d the hoyts have kinda been on top for a few years now. If U look at the top 20 shooters out west right now 15 to 16 out of 20 are shooting Hoyts. There is a reason that most of all the big name shooters are shooting Hoyt bows for the last few years. If i was just stright into hunting i think any bow would do but i like to do a little of both. Just my 2 cents worth.

Just upgraded last years Hoyt UltraTec for the new Hoyt Vectrix XL.

targetshooter/bowhunter?

3D Competition and bowhunting.

Bear, Martin, High Country, Alpine, Golden Circle Sports, Clearwater, Fred Bear, Matthews, Hoyt

23 Years

Corey

Western hunter here, idaho.... Currently shoot a diamond triumph for hunting and a diamond victory for 3-D, first started out in late 80's with a bear black panther which I still have and use to bowfish with, but have shot many different brands over the yrs.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-07 AT 00:44AM (MST)[p]Quote
"I shoot and hunt with a Mathews Legacy bow. I just bowhunt and shoot 3-d for huntlike practice and fun. I have bowhunted 24 years. I have owned a kit compound that I made in jr high school and then PSE polaris, high country ulrta force and then the Mathews Legacy. So Jason your gonna break down and get that Drenaline? I think you should get it in a RT hand 30 inch draw length he he."
End Quote

Idahoelk/John, I would do it for you in a Idaho minute if the bow also came with a built in GPS that could always point towards camp. LOL he he he. Just kidding bud, at least we can joke about it now huh? Being serious you know I would do it for ya, if you were only a lefty like me.

BUGLELK, I will see you in two weeks correct? Hope so, I wish you luck, I will be rooting for you! I look foward to seeing the new system the pros have to follow. I am starting to get ready myself, I just got over Strep Throat and bad colds that plagued me all through January. I have not not picked up my calls since December, but I will be ready.

To all others keep it comming its fun seeing what we are all shooting, thanks again!

I shoot an old Browning ballistic 6T6 set at 67 pounds. Easton 3-60 ACCs at 30", topped with a 100 grain Thunderhead. Total arrow weight is about 455 grains, and it flies at 256 FPS.

Somdeay I'll buy a more modern bow, but this old setup works great for me, easy to tune and shoots well. When I put the pin in the right spot and execute a good shot stuff dies, and that is what matters.

utah, shoot a hoyt trykon currently, before that it was a pse one cam,the one before that was a hoyt grand slam, shoot local 3d's when i have the time.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-07 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]Well, I started out shooting that same bow Idahoelk made when he was in Jr.High , Then I went to a Hoyt Raider.
I am buying a Hoyt Razortech . I like others people to break my equipment in or atleast I like the deprecciation. :).
But have been shooting off and on for 14 years . My children are really enjoying shooting also they are 6 and the twins are 4 .
I guess I should ask since I am ignorant with what the price should be , I mean is my buddy a real buddy or not lol.
400$ for the bow has
trophy taker rest
Brand new winnerschoice string
New ( not sure of the name) light adjusting fiber optics sights
Quiver ( ultra light)
And I think sims vibration system ( I know it has the one that screws in the front .
Cannot remember anything else.
So is he a friend or not?

My wife bought me a new mathews switchback XT last christmas. I have it set at 70 lbs with 410 grain gold tip arrows (including 100 grain) Muzzy broadheads. It shoots 282 per sec. I use Copper Johns sights. Whisker bisket rest and limbsavers on limbs and around handle grip. I also shoot a mathews Q-2 for a back up bow with the same set up on both. I have 7 pope and young records and have done great with these bows. I had a Mathews FX for a back up until i got the new switchback. I also use to shoot a Golden Eagle Formula. I do not shoot tourneys or 3D's but shoot in my back yard everyday starting in July. I do not consider myself an archer but a hunter.

Good luck to everyone next season

I currently shoot a High Country Brute Force, left handed. It has been an excellent bow and has never given me a second of trouble. I bought it when they first came out (around 98-99). I also have taken 6 and possibly 7 (havent had it oficially measured yet) P&Y quallifying buck and 2 P&Y Bulls with my High Country.
My other bow is an old Hoyt/Easton Ram Hunter. It has the old syle sand cast riser and plain old wheels. It is at 90 pounds with little or no let-off. I have shot a bunch of elk with it. I dont shoot competition. Dont have time for it. I have been bow hunting for a little over 20 years and exclusively for 10-21 years or so. I am planning on up grading to a Bowtec this year and keeping the High Country for a back-up.

Eric

Ultra liberal hippies piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

I presently shoot a Bowtech Guardian and Bowtech Allegiances (60 & 70LB)

I do not shoot in formal competition--but lots of informal fun with my friends and boys at the local 3-d range.

I've shot Bear Recurve, Bear Whitetail Hunter, Pearson?, HCA Snyper, Bowtech Patriots, Martin Jaguar, Bowtech Allegiances, and a Bowtech Guardian I'd like to get my hands on an Elite Synergy and a Martin recurve!

I've archery hunted for 8yrs with a 25yr break here and there.4 years ago, the bug hit really really hard.

I presently am shooting a new Parker Hornet. So far I really like it.

I have shot competetively for a short time a few years back. Mostly I shoot 3-d's now for fun.

I have owned mostly Hoyt's over the last 15 years. I have also shot Martin, Oregon Bow, Golden Eagle, and Bear. For some reason I always come back to Hoyt. They seem to fit me the best.

I have bowhunted big game for 18 years and small game for a few more than that. Good luck to all of you in the draws/hunts!

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-07 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-07 AT 06:01?PM (MST)

1. I shoot a 60-70 lb Reflex Buckskin (made by Hoyt)and Beman arrows

2. I am part of the local archery league but still consider myself an average target shooter and hunter

3. This is the only bow I have and have used and I love it

4. I've only hunted one season with it and have owned it for almost two years

I'm from Northwestern WY (right on the border with MT.) I still like to use rifles but I always try with my bow first.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom