POLL - Your fav. caliber and why !

B

BugleminToday

What is your favorite caliber and why is it ?

I am trying to get more information on ya'lls .300 and .338 experiences...but until then, I would like to get little by little of knowing what ya'lls favorite's are !

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

I shoot a .300 winny mag. and i love it. It is a flat shooting, hard hitting caliber and that's what i want wether i'm shooting elk, muleys or antelope. Yes it's true a well placed shot from a .22 will take down any of these animals, but why the risk. If your shooting to kill, shoot something that will do the job efficiently. Just my opinion.

I really dont have a favorite, just depends on how I feel when I get ready to leave on which gun I will choose, I could leave to go after PDs and take my 270wsm or deer with my 22-250 just depends on the mood, I usally use my 30-06 on jack rabbits. some of you might say it is over kill but the way I look at it DEAD IS DEAD also good practice to use deer rifles on those kind of things

.300 Win. Mag for mulies on up, 30-06 for whities, 30-06 or 30-30 for blackies and .250 Savage for coyotes, bobcats, cougar, fox, putting down cattle and for deer chasing dogs. Chase a deer on my property and blap, blap, 2 caps in da hat! L.O.L.!
Eric

I grew up shooting a .308 so I'd have to say that is my favorite. I just bought another but it isn't a standard .308 (the Lazzeroni/Savage Patriot). Hopefully I will have it by the end of this week.

I've got a bunch of rifles from .17 Rem. to .300 Ultra Mag. and I use them on a kinda rotation basis. But if I had to pick just one it would be the .243Win. It's a great deer gun, and I love it's "shootability"!!!!

Mine has to be my old 25'06. My dad gave it to me when I was 12. By the time I was old enough to hunt I had put hundreds of rounds through it and was pretty confident. I thought that old gun would do anything. I then started getting older and joined the magnum craze. Several guns and years later I keep going back to my old reliable 25er. Never let me down yet.

The old "non-firebreathing' .257 Roberts; pure and simply because anyone can shoot it well. It's parent cartridge (7x57mm) aint half-bad either...

Hank

30-06 for black bear and muleys.30-30 for blacktails..243 for yotes..22 mag for everything else.
hicountry

I would have to say it's a toss up between the 7mm STW which I have now. And the 300 Dakota. Both calibers will absolutly zing a bullet and they pack plenty of punch down range

The 25/06 is my favorite. I guess the reason would be cause it is so accurate, or my first new gun my Father gave me, or it's one heck of a caliber.

The old .22 long rifle - Because it is cheap and fun. Second is the .357, because I love revolvers. Third is the .243, because I love my rifle. A distant 4th would have to be the .300 win mag - because it can 'reach out and touch someone'... well, 'something' anyway...

My 300 RUM becaues it is the whose your daddy for elk, they just don't go far after I shoot them, I don't get it! But seriously the 300 RUM is a flat shooting hard hitting round from 100 yds to 700 yds, love it, IMHO Bullets are expensive but I handload mine. Man what a shooter.

My favorite hands down is 7mm rem mag. I'm very confidant with it and it shoots better than I can shoot it. Its taken its fair share of game too... Second would be 243, followed closely by 260 rem. I have a 338-06 ear marked for this fall, but I don't think it will bump the 7mag...

Ivan

My favorite is my 300 RUM Sendero. I have hunted with 2 other calibers. A 270 Model 700 and a 25-06 model 700. The 300 UM is just a spectacualer gun. I have consistantly amazed myself on what it will do. Heck i even shoot whitetail with it. Might be a little over kill but atleast i have recovered 100 percent of the animals i have shot with it ( knock on wood ). It has no recoil. Although it is a very heavy rifle it makes up for it with accuracy and performance.

later, MM

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-03 AT 02:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-03 AT 02:13?PM (MST)

I think that the ultimate western deer gun is the .270 WSM and best deer/elk gun is the .300 WSM. I'm currently shooting a .300 Win mag and shoot everything from elk to rock chucks with it. I may get a .300 WSM even though the ballistics are about the same as the .300 Win. I think of the .300 WSM as an improved .300 Win because it burns less power, its a short action caliber and it kicks a little less.

My Red Ryder BB gun. Its taken a lot of tweety birds, plastic army men, pop cans and the occasional stray dog. Hehehehe...
Eric

.270 Winchester, 140 gr Fail Safe over 58 grains H4831 in a Winchester case. I can't imagine a better load for monstermuleys.

the fact is, there is no "ultimate" rifle. we all have our favorites and it makes debates lively. it's also what makes serious shooters work on loads that will make their rifle the ultimate. at least the ultimate that it can be. but there just ain't ever been a rifle made that will do it all. if you're a crafty enough hunter, a .30/30 is all you need. it you're a clubfooted yeti that doesn't bathe regular, then you best get a lazeroni warbird. hell, look at what some of these bowhunters are doing these days. there ain't a bow around that is as deadly as a .22 long rifle, if it's used right. i remember when i was a kid i read a story about some guys that were polar bear hunting, or they were on a polar bear survey or some deal. anyway, they came across an old indian in the middle of nowhere that had polar bear skulls all over his place. all of them had a .22 hole in the back of the skull by the ear. killed em all with a single shot .22. if you're good enough, it doesn't take much gun. we've all let ballistics and optics and gps's and radios and 4x4's, etc. make us lazy. that ain't a bad deal i guess. but sometimes i sorta long for the days when my ol' .30/30 was all i needed. but shoot on fellers. whatever ya do, hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom