Pollohombre-hunt story

B

Bura Nut

ChickenDude: Tell us your story of how the hunt went. Duwane said you called him, but I dont think you had shot your buck yet. Fill us in on your hunt, the suspense is killing me....... Allen Taylor......

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-02 AT 01:47AM (MST)[p]Allen,
We hunted 35B. It was my fifth choice for the forth year and we were drawn here again. We have taken 5 deer between 80 and 103pts. here but it is a tough unit to figure out. We have seen a 128pt nt, 110pt. and 115pt. typical in the past. This year we took no deer. But, I would have to say it was one of the best deer sighting years we ever had. We saw 69 deer (9 bucks) but nothing worth shooting. The biggest deer was a 80 to 85pt. three point and the rest were 2pts. and spikes. We also saw lots of javelina and mearns quail. Every year we hunt this unit it is different. We have not found a pattern. One spot we always glass had 2 groups of deer and 3 herds of javelina there. Last year we only saw 6 deer there. The year before we took two bucks in the 80's and saw two different bears there and a flock of turkeys. Duane gave me some good ideas for next year.
On a different note we went to Texas for a whitetail hunt this year and had a great time. Again we didn't take any deer. We effectively got one day of hunting in on this ranch because og the weather. In that day we did see 25 bucks. Three were shooters but we thought we had two more days of hunting and could do better. The three shooters were 140 to 150 class. In addition we saw lots of turkeys, wild hogs, and literally 100's of bobwhite quail. The outfitter felt bad and said we could hunt with him next fall for free. I am very excited about this. Nobody glasses with tripods and big glasses. Last year they took a 172pt. and this year as of the time of our hunt the biggest deer was a 161pt. Most people hunt out of blinds set up at feeders. I think this ranch is a real sleeper. The best part is the hunt only cost $1500. For that we could shoot one buck, one boar, and all the sow hogs we wanted. Also for $100 extra we could have taken a turkey. We did have opportunities to fill out.
The guides were great too. The second day we had fog all day and then it started raining that evening and didn't stop for 24 hours. We are going to go back this spring to hunt turkeys and hogs too. The outfitter said in the three years he has hunted this ranch he has not had a hunter in the spring call turkeys. They have all killed the birds at the feeders. We are going to try and call them. I think it will be a great hunt! If there is anyone thinking about hunting deer, hogs, or turkeys in Texas, email me and I will give you the information about this outfitter. This is the first guided hunt my brother and I have been on that we did not kill what we were after but it was the best "guided" hunt we have ever had. We did take a couple of hogs. The outfitter wants me to bring my 50BMG down to hunt hogs with. I think that would be a hoot! Well thats my story for 2002.
In January we are going to try and stick some whitetails in AZ with our recurves. That ought to take the wind out of our sails. It is a good excuse to explore some new country.
Chickenman

Sounds like the Texas hunt went well. Where abouts in Texas? I hunted one year in the DelRio area but didnt shoot anything big. Duwane is on a good buck in 33 right now unless they killed him last night. He then has a hunt in 36 I think right after christmas. I am counting my days till mexico, I leave on the 27th, so hopefully something big comes my way. I hope you do well in January, thats my next plan, to stick a coues with an arrow. Best of success......... Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom