Pollution

AspenAdventures

Very Active Member
While I may not agree with some on what is causing global warming I do think we need to protect the environment and I am getting tired of the air around Salt Lake always being brown.

What should we do to stop it.

I think there should be a tax on gas that promotes alternative sources of energy for vehicles. That would garuntee we that those who visit the state pay the tax and those who drive more also pay the tax. And for those who drive diesels, they should have a higher tax on diesel.

The important thing is that we clean the air. It is getting worse every day. It may not cause global warming, but it does give me headaches and it smells so good to go to the mountains and get some fresh air. Why can't I hvae fresh air at home?

What do you think would fix the problem?

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

AA, did you say tax? OMG, you must really be a democrat at heart. there is hope for you if you think WE all should pay for dirty air.

Your air pollution problem (salt lake city) is too expensive to fix, if youre a neocon. It's also going to destroy the economy, according to the neocons.

But, If your a true conservative, you will recognize that life has value and the quality of life is worth a lot!

Salt lake's problems are varried but center around

1. cars,
2. cars,
3. cars,
4. cars,
5. busses,
6. big rigs and construction equipment, and etc.
7. mining/
8. coal fired power plants

How to fic your problems:

1. drive less
2. when you drive, dont dribe big polluting vehicles.
3. dont have fire on a stagnant air day
4. support new standards,
5. support new air regulations that were proposed to help salt lake but which the rebublicans re wrote so that industry could make tons more money - and pay fewer taxes ta boot!

I'd say lets do things better so that we dont have to spend so much on cleaning up the pollution, and second, use those monster tax cuts to oil companies to help develop better, less polluting cars, and better transit systems so that we done have to drive so much.

It's all about cars and trucks. . .

T you are sooooooooo wrong. Its all about cow flatulence and oh yea President Bush. You left him out. Must have just slipped your mind.

Probably just one of the cycles of the earth and really isn't pollution at all. Possibly a Democrats conspiracy by the liberal press to make Bush look bad right before election day.

I can't, fer the life of me, understand why NObody talks about the lead plant out at Lakeshore!
It's the dirtyest stack in the nation!!
Then ya have the hazardous waist plants out at Araganite belching crud in the air... but oh no... it's cars!
Well, ya, cars contribute, but the lead plant is the major player, 'an even Commy Pinko Rocky never sez a word... guess that'd go against his green-wiener-get-rid-of-cars campaign...

Yeah - the air in SLC is a mysterious yellow. In LA it's just brown. There is some serious corporate pollution going on that doesn't get addressed enough. There are too many cars, but we can't reasonably expect to fix that problem - just try and get them to emit less and consume less at the same time.

Another problem with SLC is the Lake and the Mountains. The inversion is horrible and made worse by the lake effect. The swamp smell you get in the spring is not from pollution though - it's the lake.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-06 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]While those sources add some toxics and a bit of precursors to haze and some criteria pollutants, they pale in comparison to diesel and cars - hands down, no debate not even close. Your exposure to health risk toxics, for an average person in the Salt lake area, comes from autos, it's not even close - around 70% of your toxics exposure is from auto emissions.

You are wrong if you dont believe that our air pollution problems largely are a result of autos.

If you dont believe me, send me a PM and I'll help you get in touch with the nations leading experts on air pollution and more specifically, in Salt Lake City if you choose.

the data supports my conclutions, and there is not a single, real, respected and qualified air pollution professional that would make the argument against auto emissions.

Those sources, if you give me there names, I can tell you EXATLY how much they contribute and their relative contrabution to the overall air pollution concentrations in and around salk lake. . .

The lake gives up some biogentics that contribute to regional haze. Those big industrial sources put out some bad stuff for sure, but it's about the dose. . . .

Live somewhere where you don't have temperature inversions that trap the air in low lieing areas such as SLC. Live in a rural area where you can live close to work and walk to work or ride a bicycle to work. These would be solutions.

I live in a big metropolitan area and commute 16 miles to work one way. The combination of good schools/real estate values in the suburbs and good jobs/wages in the metropolitan area is what locks me in to the commute. I drive a Chevrolet Suburban which burns a lot of gas. This is a good vehicle for our long trips to visit family at Christmas and several other times a year and for my hunting trips, but it is not the best commuter vehicle. We can't afford to leave it parked in the garage however and own another car just for the work commute. We Americans consume a lot of resources -- water, oil, electricity, food, heavy metals, toxics involved in making semiconductors, etc. Living with less is not part of our culture. Showers every day. Air conditioning everywhere. Throwing away leftovers. This isn't going to change soon I don't imagine.

Let me speak to the Diesel truck issue. The new tractors that are being today cost about 15000 more than they did 4 or 5 years ago just for the engine. That cost is because of the new systems to burn the exhast back into the engine.
We use all CAT diesel's for my tractors, 11 in all...and I understand the next generation coming out in the next few years will be 95% cleaner than todays. This will cost about 10000 per truck.
So from someone that has trucks and pays the bill, I can tell you that things are getting cleaner in the trucking industry.

Larrbo, is 100% correct and it's the old command and control system that got it done!

The price of the new systems are "significant" but the costs really are less. . .

"You are wrong if you dont believe that our air pollution problems largely are a result of autos."

*SIGH*

Well... speaking from a purely SL valley standpoint...you need to see the brownish yellow haze moving in from the desert, or the smokebank you run into on yer way to the desert...even when the valley is clear. I have seen this.

C'mon T-Shot!! I am offering up a MAJOR conspiracy/coverup here, brought about by right-wing polititions!!
You should be on this bandwagon in a hart-beat!

I know things are getting cleaner in the trucking industry but I am talking about those Duramax guys. Dodge is even worse. They let the foot drop on that pedal and a thick black cloud comes out. It seems to happen on the Cummins everytime even on the stock models. It should not be legal.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

455418510eaee466.jpg

Kyle

"If it moves shoot it again"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-06 AT 05:05AM (MST)[p]ALOT OF IT IS COMPETITION IN THE CITY!!!

LOOK AT ME!!!

MY HOUSE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!!!

MY HOUSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS!!!

MY TRUCK/PICK-UP THAT IS SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY WILL BLOW MORE SMOKE THAN YOURS THANKS TO MY MANY MODIFICATIONS!!!

EVERYBODY IN THE SLC VALLEY IS TRYING TO OUTDO EACHOTHER WITH MORE SMOKE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat NOT SMOKING!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom