Poor Zeiss Warranty Experience....

ThunderBall

I've been fan of Zeiss equipment for a while. My spotting scope is a 15-45x65 angled Diascope. I bought it used because the warranty said it was Lifetime and transferable and I've heard great stories about their service from friends and relatives. And I also owned a zeiss rangefinder before and really liked it. I've recommended Zeiss products to friends throughout the years some of which ended up purchasing Zeiss products.

The spotting scope worked flawlessly for the last 6 years often very in harsh conditions. During my recent elk hunt, however, the focusing knob stopped working. The timing was unfortunate but I wasn't worried. I sent it in to get fixed thinking that for sure it would be covered by the warranty.

It wasn't.

They said that the main tube had been tampered with and that I'd have to pay $595 to have it fixed. I have not tampered with the main tube and since it's been working fine for the last 6 years I doubt that the person I bought it from had either.

Once I was emailed the notice that I had to pay for the repair, I called customer service. Carrie was the person I initially spoke with at Zeiss. She was really nice. She said maybe I can talk to the manager to see if there was anything he could do.

His name is Everett Shurman. He wasn't as nice. The conversation started out cordially then eventually devolved. My point was that if they weren't going to honor the stated "lifetime warranty" then they shouldn't offer the warranty which misleads people. I definitely wouldn't have bought it if it were not for the stated lifetime transferrable warranty.

At one point he stated that if I wanted an iron clad warranty then purchase a Vortex. Then he added some other no so nice statements about Vortex. I have nothing against Vortex so I won't share them. After I told him I'd share my experience online and that particular statement about Vortex's warranty, the conversation got even more animated.

After some back and forth, that's really how it ended. They won't repair it and I'll never buy another Zeiss product.

If you are considering buying anything Zeiss please take my experience into account.

If posts like this arn't allowed, please let me know and I'll remove it.

Eh... That sucks for sure... But sounds like you need to pay 595 to be able to use the spotter though... So your options are get back a nice table ornament or pay the money to get it fixed. If you are not going to pay it LMK and i will take it off your hands...

But in all reality. If it was me I would pay to get it fixed then just sell it to recoup some money. How could they tell the tube had been tampered with?

That would be the smart thing to do. But I'm too disapointed to give them anymore money. Send me your address and I'll ship it to you when I get it back.

This is a great thread, thank you!
I had service work done on some swaro binoculars years back, and they were great to work with.

I was able to get a few good edals on some Leica optics and I heard they had issues, apparantly like Zeiss did. These issues were brought up on another site and a Rep from Leica apologized for their past reputation and did make it right with some guys that were having problems. It sounds like they are a lot better now.

I guess my point is, is that after dropping several thousand dollars on optics, it's hard to understand why Zeiss would act like this. I doubt they would rarely have issues and at least be decent about it.

Based on your post, I would not buy anything from them.

The Warranties On Alot Of Items Are Getting To Be A JOKE!

HELL Of A Warranty If You're Looking To Buy!

I've Beat My ZEISS Bino's Perty Hard For A Few Years With No Problems,YET!

Kinda Felt Bad A Few Weeks Ago,I Took Them To The Car-wash To Do The Initial Cleaning!

(Guess I'll Never tell ZEISS About That!:D)

They're Good To Go Again!

What if the previous owner did something? There are risks in buying used.

My Zeiss warranty experiences have been completely opposite of the above.
I fell hard on a hunt and broke an eyepiece off my binos. I sent them in expecting to be paying to have them fixed. I received a brand new pair in less than 2 weeks.
The diopter on another pair became loose and would move with the focus. These binos get used a lot and had seen better days. They showed back up within 10 days- fixed dipoter, replaced the eye-cups, cleaned the glass, buffed the body- they looked like new.
Zeiss paid postage back on both. Never charged me anything. The people I talked with were always very nice and helpful.

I have friends and relatives who have had great experiences with their service which makes what’s happened to me a bit hard to understand.

I really don’t think it was tampered with. It’s been working great for the last six years. The only thing I can think of is that one my employees used my business address for a warranty repair a few years ago and I used the same address for this one. Maybe somehow that got it flagged ?

I have friends and relatives who have had great experiences with their service which makes what’s happened to me a bit hard to understand.

I really don’t think it was tampered with. It’s been working great for the last six years. The only thing I can think of is that one my employees used my business address for a warranty repair a few years ago and I used the same address for this one. Maybe somehow that got it flagged ?
Given the responses, I think that you unfortunately was on the receiving end of a bad customer service rep, a jerk. Perhaps you could talk to somebody else at Zeiss. I hope it works out for you.

I’ve had great luck sending a good old fashion letter to COO and Presidents of a few companies. Both times my challenges have been made right, neither time was Zeiss Optics though.
Shitty situation.

I have had a good experience with Leica over the past 25 years, just received the return of my binos now. No charge other than the shipping back for minor repairs on my second pair. The first time was like your experience, I bought a pair of used but brand new condition, I dropped them on a hunt and broke an internal screw on one side, they were not repairable, they told me I wasn't covered since I did not buy them new. I used the same argument as you, they came back and said they would give me $600 credit on a new pair( I bought them for $400 used) that would be lifetime guaranteed, I jumped on it and have been happy, I don't remember what I sent them in for last time but this time one eye cup came off, I do know both issues were fairly minor.

I have had swaro for years and because of a stupid move on my part! I destroyed a pair of SLC 15s. Swaro was amazing to deal with and I was fine paying to fix all
Issues but they fixed them for free and sent them back! I now have a whole
Swaro line up in optics and can’t say enough good about them!

Sorry your experience was crappy. Good time to Upgrade to swaro! 🤣

Zeiss just told me to go pound sand on a broken off plastic focus wheel on my 8 x 20 compacts. I'm not sure about the damage or fungus, look fine and clear to me. I just wanted the knob fixed, which I can probably do better than original using a steel screw. I didn't ask them to open and clean.

25% discount on a new pair that also essentially has no warranty too? I just told them to send them back!

"We have completed the inspection on your 8X20B T* VICTORY COMPACT, Serial # 2754442 and have determined that your optic is either beyond economic repair or not repairable.

This condition is not covered under warranty because:

Optic has suffered external force, loosening the ocular lens assembly. this has allowed moisture to enter internally, causing fungus to form.

Unfortunately, fungus was detected inside the binocular; we are prohibited to open fungus-infected instruments as this would affect other customers' products.

Unfortunately, an exact replacement product is no longer available. ZEISS is happy to offer you a special price on the closest available replacement:

$688.49 for a Victory Pocket 8x25"

This is interesting.

I’ve got an old pair of Zeiss that I still use to this day. I mean, old enough it’s stamped “Made in West Germany” on them. (You history buffs can do the math)

They are not the most clear bino, so I sent them in a couple years ago with a full explanation of things. Their rep reached out to me and we talked about options. Being so old they really couldn’t replace parts, but they took it apart, cleaned/tuned things up, and sent them back. The picture improved, it’s still not as good as the top end stuff out there, but overall it was a good experience.

It is helpful to hear other people’s experience. This thread would cause me to pause if I was looking at buying a Zeiss spotter or new bino right now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom