Portable electric fence in bear country?

jaeger63

I'd be interested to hear from guys who have deployed lightweight electric fencing while backpack hunting in bear country. I'm on the cusp of drawing a great elk tag in Wy. Hopefully it will be this year but I'm 2 under max in points so it will depend on point creep. Ive decided on one of the NW units that are grizz infested. I plan to backpack hunt to try and get away from others as best as I can. I'm considering the one from UDAP that only weighs 3.7 pounds. I'm not overly afraid of bears but I certainly respect them and want to be able to sleep soundly at night without worrying about one sniffing around in my camp. Id appreciate any info or experience that anyone has on the subject. Thanks much

Have never tried the electric fencing, but think it would work. Nothing like a good strong shock!! I do camp and hunt in bear country quite a bit, tho. One of the things that I do is take a bottle of ammonia with me for around my camp. Have a friend who outfits and rents equipment for floating rivers in Alaska, and that is a regular supply item they swear by. Bears absolutely hate the strong smell of ammonia, and leave the camps and gear alone. Just one more option.

Household strength is typically 3-5%, cheap for a gallon, and can be used, but the janitorial strength is 10% and can be obtained in quart bottles. Don't get the 25% chemical strength, as it is very corrosive if it leaks on stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom