Possible scope problems!

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I bought a Christensen arms 300 wmag Ridgeline and mounted a Nightforce nx8 2x20x50. I've had it for 3 years and have always had issues with zeroing it. At first I thought it was the rifle but of late I believe it's the scope. The range is 100 yards and my shots were first to the right then to the left and the rest you can see. Never adjusted the scope. My 270 shoot 1/2 moa. My question is, a Nightforce doing something like this? Any opinions would be appreciated.

20230906_092153.jpg

Process of elimination would suggest swapping out a scope for a quick session to confirm or eliminate the possibility. Make sure action screws are tight, nothing loose on the gun. Although it seems unlikely- try different load of ammo.

I've never seen a gun shoot a 12 inch group at a 100 yards- something is terribly wrong. Once my 280 started stringing shots 2" wide at a 100 and I was shocked by that. Turns out the action screws were loose. I've also seen the objective lens of a rifle scope terribly positioned outward to the point of being loose which caused large vertical stringing.

What rings are you using? I had Talley rings that were so crooked they ruined a Swarovski scope and caused it to be super inconsistent. I had to pay to have the scope repaired and bought new rings and I was good to go.

20190814_180308.jpg

I have it torqued down. I'm shooting federal premium 180 grain store bought. I'll recheck it a again tomorrow when I shoot again

What base/rings? Have you checked the front base screw to make sure it’s not bottomed out on the barrel? It’s a common problem. Just shorten the screw a little if it’s making contact. I’d check those before ruling it a scope issue.
Also have you tried any other factory ammo?

Yes to factory ammo, yes to taking the scope off. Have to go to the range again and see if I fixed it. Did check the screws and replaced one. Thanks guys will let you know how it went
. Been out with son on an archery elk hunt
No go

Went to the range today. Seems the scope re alignment may have done the trick. My reloading. First picture was better tha the federal premium store bought. That one hole had 3 shots in it and my regular flyer is always there.

20230920_102651.jpg

20230920_102645.jpg

That’s probably the cause of your problem. A sled doesn’t allow proper cheek weld and the rifle recoils differently also. Depending on where the rifle is positioned it could be catching the front sling stud upon recoil also.

Have you tried shooting off a bipod/rear bag or 2 bags?

That’s probably the cause of your problem. A sled doesn’t allow proper cheek weld and the rifle recoils differently also. Depending on where the rifle is positioned it could be catching the front sling stud upon recoil also.

Have you tried shooting off a bipod/rear bag or 2 bags?
I'll give that a try next time I go to the range. Thanks for the tip

Also could your "always a flyer" be the first shot out of a cold barrel or a clean barrel with traces of gun oil in the barrel.
RELH

I clean my guns after each shooting. The flyer is with each set of 4 that I shoot when I try to work up a load. 3 are good and one off. Rifle is floated.

Next time you shoot, be sure to see where that first shot lands as compared to the rest of the shots. If you clean after each shooting, your barrel will have traces of gun oil in it for the first shot and it will normally cause that shot to be out of the group.
When I go hunting, I always fired a fouling shot in order for my first shot at a game animal to be on target.
RELH

I clean my guns after each shooting. The flyer is with each set of 4 that I shoot when I try to work up a load. 3 are good and one off. Rifle is floated.
Over cleaning a barrel is more harmful than less cleaning. Some rifles take 5-10 shots down the barrel to settle in.
Try not cleaning the rifle and see what happens. I have rifles with hundreds of rounds down the barrel and still shooting great.

Question? So when do you clean it? The times I shoot I take 20 shots then take home and clean it. I keep hearing where people shoot 100's of shots before cleaning. Also they only clean when the accuracy starts to go off. Clarify and I'll start trying ti. Thyanks again guys.

Question? So when do you clean it? The times I shoot I take 20 shots then take home and clean it. I keep hearing where people shoot 100's of shots before cleaning. Also they only clean when the accuracy starts to go off. Clarify and I'll start trying ti. Thyanks again guys.
I clean my rifle when accuracy starts to fall off.
If I was hunting in a lot of wet weather I will run a patch or 2 down the barrel to be sure it’s dry.
Some barrels need to be cleaned more than others and some shoot better when dirty.
20 shots isn’t very many. I would suggest trying not cleaning it after your next range session and then see how it shoots the trip after that.

I don’t clean mine except during load development or it’s s rifle I’m putting a lot of rounds through. Once I have a load that barrel stays fouled.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom