Potential World Record Oryx

B

balz

Killed this morning on a South of 70 Badge Hunt by Craig Lemke of Alamagordo, NM. One of the funnest hunt I believe I will ever be a part of.
GREEN Score is
Right Length 42 5/8
Right Mass 8
Left Length 42
Left Mass 8
48372ce60e262b64.jpg

48372d060ebc4142.jpg

48372d310fab9c19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-23-08 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]wow..with a muzzleloader? beautiful hit and exit bullet wound...

big kudos to the hunter!!!

vinihunt

Awesome! Congrats to the hunter.

Thanks for the heads up Cody!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

balz,

Nice one. A bull like that is hard to come by anymore. Even better that is was taken with a muzzleloader. I like to shoot an oryx some day with a muzzleloader. Looks like a pretty good shot. Was it a downhill or uphill shot? How far was the shot? What kind of load and bullet combo was used to taken down this beast?

I drew an off range January 09 hunt this year. First draw for these critters ever. Been trying for 18 years. It would be nice to get one with the muzzleloader. Might be tough though. Might get with you later to see if you have any tied up near Alamogordo.

hey Crazy nice to see you finally drew an oryx tag, Send me a PM I have some elk questions for you on unit 51. Tony

That is a monster!!

Very nice!!

Thanks for sharing. I hear a lot of people talk about animals like this, but they never have pictures to back up their stories.

Is it a cow or bull? I thought I heard somewhere that cows horns tended to flare out at the top as well as other characteristics.

I had no idea that bulls got that big. I always thought that cows had the longest horns but this would negate that notion. It's interesting also that they are not busted up.......

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-08 AT 00:06AM (MST)[p]Edit: This explains why he was not busted up yet.

He was actually kind of young. He had one baby tooth left on each side of his jaw. This would make him between 2 and 3 years old.
Orxy will grow 90% of their horn lenght in the first 18 months of their lives and after the length is obtained they will peel off a layer on their horns that is not very dense. This peeled away will reveal a more dense horn that is polished and becomes shiny. After this stage and length that the Oryx gets is a mostly flat horn with out any rings on it. I have always referred to this section as the Boss.

Case in point: A cow Oryx was killed on the November Stallion Range hunt this last year, she was collared when she was about the same age as this orxy maybe slightly younger. She was 34 inches when collared and was killed this year. 6 year after being collared. She was 45 miles from the initial collaring sight when killed and measured 35 1/2 inches. Niether horn showed any signes of ever being broken and the last inch and a half was what I consider a Boss. This would make her roughly 8-9 years old when harvested and only one and half inches longer than she was a 2 years old. Anyways kind of a neat story thought you would all like to hear.
Jordan

What a beautiful bull! That's the biggest rack on an oryx I've
seen. I killed a cow with 32" and 31" length on Jan 8, 2008 at Stallion Range. (Once in a life time hunt.) This monster dwarfs
mine in comparison.
Congrats on your off site draw. I got real lucky and drew for
an off site oryx hunt at McGregor range in Jan 09. Did you draw for that hunt?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom