Powder or Pellets

M

Mzzl

This is only my second year hunting with a muzzleloader and I am hooked. I have only used pellets and I would like to find out if I should switch to powder. What is the difference between the 2. I want to try the new Triple 7, so keep that I mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like the convenience and consistency of pellets. I've been using Pyrodex Pellets since they first came out, but I'm gonna hav'ta try the new Triple 7 Pellets as soon as I get a hold of some. You should try both pellets and loose powder and decide what your weapon prefers.

I use both loose and pellets. I use the same volume measurement as the pellets I'll use (ex 100 gr loose for 100 gr pellets or 80 gr loose for 80 gr pellets) to sight in. Then I fine tune with the pellets. I use loose powder for practice, but pellets for hunting. Of course I do like to shoot a lot!
runningwolf.gif

Pellets are quick and easy in the field and many hunters swear by them. Personally I'm a traditional sort, and prefer loose powder simply because it wouldn't seem right to do anything but pour my powder in. I see two advantages to loose powder. 1)Pellets usually cost more, so if $$ are a concern or you shoot a lot, loose may be easier on your wallet. 2)If you really want to "tune" you gun to your load, you have a lot more control of the powder volume by shooting loose. Pellets have their advantages too, so use what works for you.

Check out my black powder site at:
www.angelfire.com/home/oldguns

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-03 AT 01:45PM (MST)[p]I sure appreciate all of the feedback.
RKenSparc: Nice website, lots of info, thanks.

The suggestions so far have given me some ideas. It all means that I will have to get out and shot more, darn :|.

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom