Powder vs pellets HELP!

Elmacho

Hello, am fairly new to this muzzy thing.

I bought an omega and it shoots fairly well so far.
Problem is I have been reading about different loads and some say to use 80-90 grains powder, others say to use 120-150 grains of powder........but the 777 container says max load should be 100 grains. In addition, ballistics tables also not info from 100-150 grains powder, specifically info from powerbelt. So just how much 777 can I use?

I dont have a chrono, but would like to know what my bullet is doing speed/power wise. Accuracy is one thing, but it needs to also have down range killing power too. It needs to be deadly out to 200+yds....

Thanks for yor help.

Mark

120 grains of 2f triple 7 is equal to 150 grains of pyrodex or black powder loose.

You can use 120g triple 7 maximum in your omega or 150 grains Loose pyrodex / black powder.

Triple 7 is 15% hotter than Pyro Or BP.

Using so and so amount of powder depends on the bullet you are shooting and what the rifles sweet spot it. Sometimes more powder causes the rifle to shoot less.

I can tell you that 100 grains or under will kill animals just as quick.

www.GandersPowerbeltForu.Powerguild.net

>Hello, am fairly new to this
>muzzy thing.
>
>I bought an omega and it
>shoots fairly well so far.
>
>Problem is I have been reading
>about different loads and some
>say to use 80-90 grains
>powder, others say to use
>120-150 grains of powder........but the
>777 container says max load
>should be 100 grains.
>In addition, ballistics tables also
>not info from 100-150 grains
>powder, specifically info from powerbelt.
>So just how much 777
>can I use?
>
>I dont have a chrono, but
>would like to know what
>my bullet is doing speed/power
>wise. Accuracy is one thing,
>but it needs to also
>have down range killing power
>too. It needs to be
>deadly out to 200+yds....
>
>Thanks for yor help.
>
>Mark

If you want something that is deadly at 200 or more yards ,you should go to a center fire rifle.Muzzleloaders do there best work at closer distance.

If you are still talking Colorado, you can not use pellets, only loose powder. Powder is considerably cheaper than pellets and you can tweek a load easier. I usually use 110 grains of black powder equivalent as my absolute max. More than that and I flinch too much. Less than that will kill anything walking. If I am shooting a powerbelt, that means my max with 777 is in the 85-95 gr range because you add 15%. I will go up to 110 with pyrodex loose powder.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks guys.

Yip, its for Colorado.

I misread a sheet the other day that was actually or 120+ PELLETIZED!

Good info TX. I appreciate your input.
Will stick with 90grains 777 and a pwrblt, tweak from there.

Good luck to you all.

Mark

To throw a wrench into it, for me at least, I am going to have to try Blackhorn in my Omega. Seems to be basically equivalent to 777 volume for volume, so the same things will apply.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I've been shooting 295 aerotips, but may try the 338 platinum or 348aero...Oh...I'm aimin for a buck. Maybe i'll use my 9 elk points in 76 one of these days....then go to an easier unit with the muzz

I looked at the sheet put out by PB and it seems to indicate the trajectory of the 338 is about the same as the 295 at the same distances, however, the energy is significantly greater with the heavier one obviously. I figure if it has about the same trajectory, but more pwer, it might be worth going that route

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom