Powerbelt Aerolite

huntinfanatic

Have any of you had a chance to use the new aerolites on big game? Hoping to here some reviews before using them on my colorado muzzy hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-11 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]I am not sure what they are trying to do with the aerolite. By adding a longer central plastic tip, they make the bullet long for its weight, but that design also says to me that they will come apart easier. In their words: "This longer length is made possible by the massive hollow-point cavity that is filled by an over-sized polycarbonate point."

They put right on the label designed to be used with 80-100 gr powder (lower charges) I assume to try and get them to hold together better. I see no reason to try them on an elk. The regular ones come apart too easy for my taste anyway, and if these open up even easier.....

Sounds like a great target bullet, but just can't see using it on big game.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a "massive" cavity (ie hollowpoint) with a "massive" plastic tip inserted is going to open up too easily IMO. Not what I am after for bigger deer or elk. Time will tell, but I am sticking with the FPB or Thor on elk at least. The lead alloy FPB is a step up in toughness, but the front does still expand well while the rear of the bullet holds together better than the same size pure lead bullet. And there is not a tougher bullet on the market than the Thor.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I was also wondering what metal they are made of. The only thing I could find is that they use the same plating technology as the platinum series, so does that mean they are platinum?

The "skin" on powerbelts, is just that, a thin skin to help them glide though the barrel. Protects the lead somewhat and keeps lead from building up in the barrel. However, it does absolutely NOTHING to enhance the toughness of the bullet. When you think of powerbelts, just think of soft lead, cause that is what all of them are.

What will you be hunting?

txhunter58

My colorado tag is for mule deer, but Im trying to find a good bullet for muleys and elk. I was hoping the 300 grain aerolites were the one. For my last 3 muzzy muleys I've used the 270 gr. platinums with great results but want something bigger for elk but not overkill on deer(I like steaks not hamburger haha).

I would choose the 338 platinum for elk. It has a smaller hollow point to help it stay together better on bigger game. The aerolite goes the other way. And I don't think the 338 is too big for deer. What really tears up more meat is the bullet coming apart, not the size. But not sure you need to change a thing for this year unless maybe you jumped to the 300 gr platinum. I believe the platinum just has to be a tougher bullet than the aerolite due to design.

txhunter58

I agree with TX steer away from power belts, but if your dead set on using them, use the 338 grn platinum. I would recommend the FBP as well, the 300 grn would be enough but the 350 grn even better, the Thor is a full bore barnes, and extremely tough the 250 grn would do, but the 300 grn would be better, just my .02 good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-11 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all the info guys. I'll give the FPB's a try this off season and see how they shoot. Still hoping to here some post harvest reports on the aerolites.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom