Powerbelt size?

steelie

Well I've been shooting the gun alot lately - and I thought I had decided on a load. 295gr powerbelts with 100 gr of 777. I'm kinda starting to second guess myself now though, as I will be using this to hunt elk as well. Do you guys think the 295 is enough for elk? Should I jump up to the 348gr, or is that a little much for muleys?

Thank you

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-03 AT 05:31AM (MST)[p]The higher you go with Powerbelt grains -- the better they work. Also, there's very little load-tweaking between the 295, 348 and my favorite... the 405s. Most stores don't sell the 405s -- you could buy them online. They are listed under Black Belts at cabelas.com

"Sometimes we're the dog -- sometimes we're the fire hydrant"

The heavy ones seem to group better I would use 348 for elk and 295 for deer. my 2 cents

Steelie
What rifle are you shooting? The faster the twist the more likely it will shoot the longer, heavier bullets better. I shoot a 1-28 twist and it likes the 348 copper H.P.'s. They kill deer dead and I'm sure they will do the same on elk too. I plan on using the 348 for both.

fairchase, my gun is a Knight DISC, 1 in 28. I think I will get some 348s and try them out, thanks for the responses guys.

i shoot the HP 295's out of my knight. after they went clear through a 10" dia tree and blew the back half off at 50yds, i am convinced they will do the job on an elk. .02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom