PowerBelts 338 Platinum Bull

elknut

Tried the new PowerBelt 338 Platinums pushed by 90gr Trip7 this year. My wife took this 340 ML bull at 120 yards. The first shot was dead center shoulder and put the bull down. He got back up and tried to run but the shoulder was not having it. She then finished the bull with a neck shot at 60 yards. Overall both bullets held together well.

471187eb0d4e247c.jpg

Top is the shoulder bullet
471188110de63f96.jpg

The best we could tell the neck shot did not hit bone.
4711884b0ec75574.jpg

Right is the sholder bullet
471188a9113f8f38.jpg

6X7 Bull
471188e6121e5d0c.jpg

Fantastic bull! Thanks for the report on the powerbelts. What was then penetration like on the bullet that hit the shoulder? Did it go through the chest?

Do you have any way to weigh the bullets?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Good question TxHunt, interesting results?

I pulled the plastic point and base off a new PowerBelt 338. My scale shows it at 339gr (so I could be off 1 gr on the level), then weighed the others.

The shoulder bullet DID penetrate the chest (causing much damage) and was stopped by the opposing shoulder, however did not penetrate the full opposing shoulder. Total weight = 185gr.

On the neck shot the bull was facing away and had his head down a bit, so the bullet moved from the top of the neck towards the lower head, it stopped on the edge of the hide. Total weight = 235gr.

I tend to agree with many on the ML forum, heaver is better!

BTW my wife made a fantastic shot on this bull, he was running with 15 cows and it all came together very fast. The lead cow winded us and stopped the bunch with the bull in the middle, she made the decision to pull the trigger and dumped him ? I'm very excited for her.

Thanks for the additional report. Sounds like the platinum performed very well. Also sounds like the first shot would have been fatal in short order.

Yours is the first platinum report on elk that I have heard. thanks

txhunter58

Thanks for the info. I had a buddy that nailed a bull at 115yds in the shoulder and put a thumping on it but...the Platinum busted the shoulder and did NOT penetrate the chest cavity. The bull tried to move and could not then the 2nd shot to the spine dropped him.

Great bull congrats to your wife, it's great to see the women and kids doing so well...keep them coming.

Earthman: Do you know what powder and how much was used? Time and time again I hear to not push powerbelts too hard, or any pure lead conical for that matter. I usually use 90-95 grains of 777 or 100-110 grains of pyrodex.

thanks

txhunter58

Congratulations to your wife on a very fine bull. Sounds like it must have been an exciting hunt. Glad to hear that the Powerbelts worked good for her.

For txhunter, I shoot the 348 grain aerotip in my .50, and push it with 130 grains of pellets. Two 50s and a 30 do the trick for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom