PowerBelts or Hornady LNL SST's or Knight Red Hots

Ryan55555

I have an older Knight muzzleloader (50 cal) with the 209 conversion primer kit installed. I have been using 2-50g Pyrodex pellets with the 250g Knight Red Hot Sabots since I bought it years ago. I am out of the Red Hots and have never tried any other bullets. It shoots ok groups and have been interested in the 245g AeroTIp Powerbelts. I also have looked at the Hornady L-N-L Sabots with 250g SST bullets. Anyone have any experience with these? Could I have improved accuracy with the Powerbelts or SST's?

I think your accuracy will improve but go with the 348 grain aero tip. Dont go lighter. I think you will be very happy with them.

I have used the powerbelts 245g for the last 2 years and really like them. I have never had a sabot go clean through a deer until I switched to the powerbelts. I also use 2-50g pyrodex pellets. They work for me.

I could never get much accuracy from PowerBelts. I use the Hornady SSTs and use powder which to me works better than pellets. With the SSTs and powder it is really accurate now. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-06 AT 07:58AM (MST)[p]I have dropped 2 bucks with the 300gr sst . Both were pass-through shots behind the shoulder. I use 90 gr 777 and get great accuracy from my knight.

Andy

Just last season I saw 3 bulls harvested with a muzzleloader two with powerbelts and one with the sst. The bull shot with the SST was 198 yards one shot kill bullet was recovered on the far side of the hide perfect mushroom. As for the power belts one bull was wounded in the front leg at 180 yards the bullet smashed flat and didn't even pass entirely through the front leg, then once we caught up with the bull again he took a hit in the hip at 60 yard, the bullet smashed flat and didn't even break his hip. The other power belt bull was taken at 220 yards the bullet was recovered and you could have cleaned it off and shot it again! That is not very reliable preformence if you ask me.

My son and I have each shot nice bulls with a .50 caliber 348 grain Powerbelt aerotip. Excellent performance on each bull to go along with very good accuracy. The rifle is a Knight disk extreme and I shoot 2- 50 grain pellets and a single 30 grain pellet on top of a Federal 209 primer.

Can't find the pictures or I'd post photos of the bulls. My son's was his first ever elk tag and he got a 334 bull.

Here's another vote for the Powerbelts! Best shooting bullet I've tried and believe me I've tried alot of them trying to find one that will shoot. While load testing with a scope the 405 AT and the 348 AT both performed equally well (remember, lighter is not always better). Also, don't overlook how easily they load......like butter.......which really helps with those quick reloads in the field. I thought initially that if they loaded so easily that there was no way they would shoot consistently. I WAS WRONG! Powerbelts are flat awesome!

In my experience with the powerbelts the only complaints have been from animals. While I haven't shot every bullet available to us ML's I have shot enough of them to stop testing after I found the 348gr PB.

I was never impressed with Hornady rounds in my ML. I was very impressed with the Barnes MZ in 250gr but after shooting the 348 gr PB I decided that the ease of loading and the consistancy in groups on a dirty barrel was a good trade off.

As far as damage/effectiveness on animals I have never been disappointed. They have effectively killed every deer I have shot (4) and the spike elk last year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom