Powerbelts

bkhunter

I was fortunate enough to draw an Ely, Nv muzzleloader bull elk tag. i have been shooting 250 grain sabots with great success. while in SLC this weekend picking up spme more bullets, the sales guy talked me into getting some 348 gr. HP powerbelts. He says they are the best for an elk. He also said that the ballistic tip bullets were have a tough time expanding if you didn't hit bone/heavy muscle. I shot the powerbelts yesterday and they shoot fairly true. 3" group at 100 yds and able to hit a 5" bullseye free hand with open sights. Anyone have any input on grain size and bullet type for a hunt of a lifetime?

BKHunter

My group uses both 348 and 405 gr powerbelts. We all use aerotips. The aerotip is nothing more than a HP with a plastic cap. Pull one out and see for yourself. I can't see how that would keep the bullet from expanding. That said, if you hit an elk broadside and it passes through the lungfield without hitting a rib, neither one is probably going to expand much. However, no critter alive is going to survive a 1/2" hole through its lungs. Bottom line is that I don't think you can go wrong with either the HP or aerotip. If your gun is shooting them that well, I wouldn't change a thing. I know some guys that sing the praises of NO EXCUSE bullets in 460 gr: http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page2.html Sounds like great elk medicine although I have never used them. I also know a guy that shoots a 6x6 bull almost every year with powerbelt 295 gr aerotips. Bottom line is don't take questionable shots with any bullet and you will be fine. Good luck on your hunt.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The sales guy was full of crap... Aero tips expand very quickly. In fact, I'm not sure I'd use the straight up just hollow points on an elk, but you'd probably be ok....

I shot my elk last year with a 295 powerbelt hollow tip. I shot at 60 yards and the elk ran 70 yards before expiring. I would say to use whatever shoots best in your gun. I got a lot of crap from people saying that 295's were not heavy enough for elk but when I practiced with heavier bullets my shot pattern got a lot worse in my particular gun. So I went back to the 295's.

There have been a lot of guys who have had trouble with this bullet expanding to much and fragmenting (exactly what you do not want on an elk size game).

I did a ton of research and made phone calls and settled on the TC 300 gr. shockwave for my elk hunt. Why take the chance (as long as sabots are legal)?

Great tag - congrat's, good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom