Prairie dog hunt?

JMUPT

Hello all
I'm interested in doing a parrie dog hunt this summer some time and need some help. I live in virgina and i have only hunted ground hogs but would really like to get out and try prairie dog hunting. I need to know where i should go and if i should go with a outfitter or just try to find some place to hunt on my own. I only want to hunt for 2 or 3 days and i have no problem staying at a hotel and getting my own meals. i would probably drive out to where ever i go so no airfare. Any help you all can give me would be great.

Be careful in Utah, there is a season when you cannot shoot prairie dogs.

>Hello all
>I'm interested in doing a parrie
>dog hunt this summer some
>time and need some help.
> I live in virgina
>and i have only hunted
>ground hogs but would really
>like to get out and
>try prairie dog hunting.
>I need to know where
>i should go and if
>i should go with a
>outfitter or just try to
>find some place to hunt
>on my own. I
>only want to hunt for
>2 or 3 days and
>i have no problem staying
>at a hotel and getting
>my own meals. i
>would probably drive out to
>where ever i go so
>no airfare. Any help
>you all can give me
>would be great.

Come to ND. We have lots of the litle suckers. There are a few places that "guide" for them, but I wouldn't pay to shoot them. About the best palce for them is in the Badlands - the southwest corner of the state. There is a lot of Forest Service land in that area so you could hunt them there - or just knock on some doors - probably won't get turned down too often. I used to work out in that area and know a few good towns that don't get shot much, so I could help you out. You would need to buy $17 worth of licenses to hunt/shoot them - but that's pretty minimal. I know that ND is a long ways from VA, but we have lots of 'dogs.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

Groundhog day is February 2nd, that's when it peers its head up from the ground for the first time & if it doesn't see its Shadow there will be 6 more weeks of winter.
I wonder what the forcast is, when he pops up out of his hole & is swiftly greeted by a well placed hollow point the blows his head off ? }>

I will cut you a deal, I will fully guide you on a prairie dog hunt, Prairie dogs are rare and hard to find, but I think I have got a secret spot where you might get a shot at a few, a 2-3 day fully guided hunt will cost around $2,000 plus trophy fee's, and if you want me to take care of the animal such as skinning and packaging the meat it will cost a little more. My spot is private ground so there is no particular season, legal anytime you see them. I live in Utah so if you are interested let me know.

No take on the guided hunt, man I was giving you are bargain, How about I cut my price to $1,800. Now that is a bargain for a prairie dog hunt. Or if you want I will do trade, buy me a limited entry elk tag, either San Juan or Pahvant unit and I will take you prairie dog hunting.

If you are interested in hunting them in Utah I would stay out of the southern half of the state - they are the white-tailed variety and are an isolated species which makes them endangered and therefore you cannot legally hunt, kill, bait, flash-photograph, talk to, look at scornfully, or maim in any way with any object, golf club, hatchet, or other weapon. Also in extreme northeastern Utah you have to watch out for black-footed ferrets, they will steal your kill before you have a chance to clean it and eat it. If you are interested, you can get some good recipes on-line, at your local grocers freezer, or in any Chinese restaurant. Mainly you can just use any recipe with the ingredient "chicken" in it. Just substitute the ingredient "chicken" for "prairie dog" and you will have a very delightful cuisine. A good caliber for prairie dogs is .30-06. A good shot in the center mass region of the animal results in immediate death at any distance and more often than not allows for you to have a nice prairie dog puree (a favorite of our family - along with green jello with carrots in it!). However, I have also found a lot of success with Boat-tail Hollow point .22-250 rounds, you don't get the pureed effect, though the hollow point does tenderize the meat for you and with both of these rounds, cleaning the animal in unnecessary. Other acceptable round for prairie dog include .223, 7MM, 9MM, .45, .12 guage, .10 guage, Howitzer .50 Cal cannon.
ROY

On my ranch in South Dakota I have 2 towns. I don't shoot nearly as often as I used to. If you want come on out and bring lotsa ammo.

ROY said......"If you are interested in hunting them in Utah I would stay out of the southern half of the state - they are the white-tailed variety and are an isolated species which makes them endangered and therefore you cannot legally hunt, kill, bait, flash-photograph, talk to, look at scornfully, or maim in any way with any object, golf club, hatchet, or other weapon."

LMAO!!

Steve

Hey Steve , I thought only Santa Fe NM had thats species??? Wow , better let the greenys here know theres a colony up in Utah , you guys will enjoy these groups , they hate our President , are 99.9% gay and live for the prairie dogs .OK then to UT THEY SHALL GO !...OH HOW I WISHED ....NMHUNTNUTT

NMHUNTNUTT1......unfortunatly there are enough greenys to go around so that everyone has their share. Kind of like coyotes:)

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom