Pre 64 stock options?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
My longtime hunting Pard, back from high school days and we still hunt and fish together from time to time, has a pre-64 that has a unusable piece of wood. He's looking at options, maybe going synthetic, pay a lot, pay a little, or try to get good value for what you pay for?

He's open to suggestions and after i admitted on the phone that i know little more than jack about the subject, he requested that i ask here where he lurks on occasion and has been fairly impressed with the combined knowledge usually present.

The old 70 was a 270 win that someone had re-chambered in 270 Weatherby. My pard has a nice vintage collection, including some nice original pre-64's, but i think this one is intended for journeyman use.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-16 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]Joey
If your friend has other pre 64 rifles and will be using this one as a hunting rifle rather than a dust collector I'd say order a McMillan and get it setup for him. I would order pillars installed and the correct LOP.

Ca, Yeah, Thanks! he told me that he was looking into the Mcmillan but kind of balked at the price tag he was seeing on-line. Was it that much better? There weren't pillers included in the Mcmillian but others offered included? He could afford to go that way but even those that can, don't always do...if you know what i mean.

Do most of the different stock makers have available stocks on hand for pre-64's or is that a fairly tough one to come by?

Yes, the rifle is to be hunted and used. I'm sure he's reading this, i sent him a link...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The pre 64 actions have a different action length than post 64 m70 long actions as well as the bottom metal on a pre 64 is a bit narrower.
I've seen some wood stocks used for sale but some people want a lot for them.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-16 AT 01:13PM (MST)[p]Thanks Ca, good info!!

Anyone else care to contribute their thoughts?

Edit: I'm guessing that he would ask why the McMillan stock is worth twice the money?

Joey

As you know, I'm no shooting guru LOL but I took my Remington 700 and put a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock on it. I ordered it from Cabela's if I remember right. I picked it because it was cheaper than most and it was advertised as a "swap and go" type thing. I just put it on and it shot "fine". I've never had it bedded or anything.

Since then I've killed caribou, mulies, blacktails, and pronghorns with it. It's held up well.

Eel

I put a Hogue Full Aluminum Bed model on my old ADL 700,but had to convert it to BDL.
Dropped right in and tighten. Less than $200 from Hogue.Cabellas was a bit less but I was near Paso in those days.
Good quality wood replacements were way too much.

>Echols Legend, made by McMillan would
>be my choice for a
>'64
>
>Order from D'Arcy
>435-755-6842

This is the way I would go, super stocks and yes they are worth the higher price as are McMillans.

Thanks guys!!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom