Pre-Cook and Freeze

ramtagless

Hey All -

Any ideas on good food to pre-cook, freeze and heat up over a propane stove?

Scenario is - you are camping at your truck. Get back late and do not want to cook. So - something you can cook in advance, freeze, put in a cooler and heat up easily.

Chilly is the obvious one and what i have done in the past. Eating chilly every night gets old...any other ideas? Thanks...

I have made spaghetti ,strogonoff, and various soups and chili at home then vacuum sealed them for a fast easy dinner at camp.. I even boil them in the bags sometimes for less dishes to clean...Just takes a little longer to heat up that way..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

My vote is for homemade beef(or venison)stew. We always take some for the night that we are blood soaked and are late getting back to camp.

Good call Trix, I forgot about that one...I make that and freeze as well.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Good suggestions. I like the: vacuum bag and beef stew idea.

Snort - I have always been hesitant to do anything with noodles...do they get too soggy?

I meet some guys from Texas on a Wyoming Deer hunt a few years ago and this very subject came up.What they did was pre package all there meals, vacuum pack them and heat them up as needed in a big pot of water.

For one meal they had gone to a Chinese Restaurant and vacuum sealed there favorite dish.I thought that was a pretty good idea.

Ram, They will get softer...but not mushy.. I try and under cook them slightly to compensate,once they are frozen they keep well..It's the time up until they freeze and after they thaw that you gotta keep an eye on..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom