Preference point question

WillHunt

I basically understand how Wyoming's PP system works but have a question. Here's my situation. Party of 4. I have 2PP and rest of my party has 1. So our party has 1.25 points, which puts us in the <2 category. My question is: are applicants drawn from highest to lowest, even within a "bracket" like <2? Another way of asking would be, is there an advantage in having 1.5 versus 1.25 or are all applicants with <2 drawn at random as opposed to from the top down?

I'm putting in for antelope 48 type 2. Last year 100% of applicants with <2 got the tag, and 26% of applicants with 1 point were drawn. If the quota is reduced for 2014 and let's say only 75% of those with <2 get drawn, is my party less likely to get the tag than someone with 1.5+?

It's as 30Hart posted. They start at the max, which is 8PPs this year, and keep going down the list of applicants until the tags run out. If they get to those that have 1.25PPs like your party will have and have enough tags for all those in that pool, then evryone will get a tag. If there aren't enough tags to give everyone in that pool a tag, then they pick at random from that pool. For the elk, deer, and antlelope draws, if a party is picked and there are less tags left than the number of hunters in the party, they still issue all in that party a tag.

R you sure on that point of a party application for deer would draw? Example: 4 hunters in group and only 2 allotted tags remaining. Their number gets drawn and they all get a tag?

I thought it was the opposite. Going to go read now.

Buckshot

>R you sure on that point
>of a party application for
>deer would draw? Example: 4
>hunters in group and only
>2 allotted tags remaining. Their
>number gets drawn and they
>all get a tag?
>
>I thought it was the opposite.
>Going to go read now.
>
>
>Buckshot

Yes, Wyo looks at a party app like a single app. Even if there is only one tag left and the party app is drawn, everyone draws a tag. This is why when looking at the draw stats, you often see a tag "quota" that is less than the tags "issued".

Topgun,
Unless I'm misinterpreting your reply, it appears to conflict with what 30Hart said. 30Hart says that even within a pool (for example <2) that 1.75 draws before 1.5 which draws before 1.25. You said that they draw at random to determine who WITHIN a pool gets drawn. Can either of you clarify? It would make sense if what 30Hart says were true, although it wouldn't be to my advantage. Thanks for the insight.
Will

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]>Topgun,
>Unless I'm misinterpreting your reply, it
>appears to conflict with what
>30Hart said. 30Hart says
>that even within a pool
>(for example <2) that 1.75
>draws before 1.5 which draws
>before 1.25. You said
>that they draw at random
>to determine who WITHIN a
>pool gets drawn. Can
>either of you clarify?
>It would make sense if
>what 30Hart says were true,
>although it wouldn't be to
>my advantage. Thanks for
>the insight.
>Will

***Read my reply again closely. It is exactly as 30 Hart stated. Your misintrepretation is in regards to what a pool is. A pool is the people who have an identical number of PPs. The odds stats just don't break down the individual pools that make up that <2 overall number. If they get to your 1.25 pool and there are not enough tags left to satisfy everyone in that pool, THEN they go by random number to give the rest of the tags out. That means you have the same chance as any of the others in that particular pool if/when it gets to your pool and there are tags left. Until that time when it gets to your pool, the ones with a higher total get the tags.

>>R you sure on that point
>>of a party application for
>>deer would draw? Example: 4
>>hunters in group and only
>>2 allotted tags remaining. Their
>>number gets drawn and they
>>all get a tag?
>>
>>I thought it was the opposite.
>>Going to go read now.
>>
>>
>>Buckshot
>
>
>Yes, Wyo looks at a party
>app like a single app.
> Even if there is
>only one tag left and
>the party app is drawn,
>everyone draws a tag.
>This is why when looking
>at the draw stats, you
>often see a tag "quota"
>that is less than the
>tags "issued".

***Exactly! It's that way for the NR deer, elk, and antelope draws.

Each fraction of a point is a "points pool".
<2 is NOT a points pool.
All the 1.75 and 1.5 would draw before any 1.25 would be considered. Those are fractional point pools.
Clearer?
Zeke

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification, that makes since. You're right, I was thinking of <2 as a pool instead of a group of applicants with EXACTLY the same number as a pool. I might be right on the edge for 2014.

>Ah, got it. Thanks for
>the clarification, that makes since.
> You're right, I was
>thinking of <2 as a
>pool instead of a group
>of applicants with EXACTLY the
>same number as a pool.
> I might be right
>on the edge for 2014.
>

***Based on the stats from last year that you posted. if the same number of tags is issued and the applicants stay about the same I would say you'll definitely draw the tags. You would draw before the 1PP pool that last year you stated still drew at 26%. When the Final Regulations are posted about 6 weeks or so before the draw, you can look up that unit to see what the number of tags will be and have a good idea how you'll do.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom