preparing a cape

ADM

was wondering if there are any tutorials on how to cut the cape for the taxidermist? Also do you cut it different if you have to quarter the elk to get it out of the woods? After you have the cape off do you have to keep it cooled like the meat?
thank you for the help.

You most definitely have to keep it cool! Otherwise you will have hair slippage. Google field caping and you will find a few pictorials. It's not hard. Just make sure you cut far enough back (last rib), don't cut the brisket, and go real slow and take your time when working around the eyes, lips, ears, etc.

I don't dare take it off the face in the field. I lay it so the top of its head and back are up and start between the ears and work back to right above the back of the sternum. Its easier to make a strait cut that way than starting at the back. Then skin it forward leaving the skin on the legs to the knees. Cut the head off between the first vertibrae and the skull. then get it to your taxidermist asap! I let the taxi take it off the skull, he is much better and if he messes up I don't have to pay him to fix it.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]Good to start preparing now for your hunt. The one piece of advice I will offer is stop by your taxidermist and ask him how to cape the animal. Any taxidermist will take the time to show you what needs to be done and you can feel confident going afield. You can look at the guide on my site, but I still recommend talking to your taxidermist before the hunt. Best of luck on your hunt.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

make friends with your taxi and get him to help pack it out ha ha...i offer no advice i have yet to shoot a big un

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom