Pretty good day of scouting

CAelknuts

I've been in unit 231 for about 24 hours now, scouting for my upcoming elk hunt. I've been just learning the roads, how to get places and talking to locals who are willing to share information. Went into an area where a couple locals suggested I look, and ended up seeing 32 elk this afternoon, including 19 bulls. Biggest 6x6s were around 325-330, nice but not what I'm hoping to kill. I did see one true monster bull, but he only had one antler. He was a huge bodied bull, and his antler was long tined and beamed, 6 big points, massive and had a bladed sword, but only one antler. Good thing the season wasn't open or I might not have stayed off the trigger long enough to see that he only had one antler.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Dan, Good luck to you on your hunt down there. Chase a couple of those BIG Bulls north before you leave. My hunt starts on Nov 13th to the north of you in 221-222.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I have been meaning to give you a holler. I hunted unit 231 in 2005. I too saw many bulls scouting. However, they were all moved out by Oct 31. Took me 12 days to kill a 335 bull, and he was way out in BFE. Frusterating, but glad I didn't eat tag soup.

May I ask where you are looking? Stateline burn?

Also, how familiar are you with unit 9 AZ. I think I recall you knowing it a bit. Would like to chat about both NV 231 and AZ 9, as I will draw archery AZ 9 next year...Non-res with 17 points.

Today was interesting. Only saw 7 elk today, but four were bulls and all were nice mature bulls. Two of them were the kind of bull I'd shoot at first light on the first morning. One was super heavy, with G3s that were around 27-28" and carried his mass everywhere, in his beams and out his points. He appeared to be an old bull. The other big bull was just a classic, somewhere over 370", maybe as much as 380". He had it all, great tine length, good mass, and very long beams. Super whale tail too. He was a gorgeious bull, still rutting as he was
chasing some cows when I saw him.

That concludes this scouting trip. Heading back down to Phoenix to coach in a baseball showcase this weekend, then back home to work and prepare for my next scouting trip, which will be when I leave to head over for my hunt, but a number of days before it opens.

Looks like it might be a real fun elk hunt.

Wow! Talk about friends...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-13 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]So this evening I went over to a buddy's house, who offered to let me borrow his wall tent and wood stove. I get there, and we load up the tent and stove, then he says "Here, take my cookstove, cot, all my utensils, lanterns and ATV trailer". He then proceeds to tell me I'd be doing him a favor by borrowing this stuff, as he needs to get it out of his garage for a while.

By the time we were done, I had all his camping stuff and ATV trailer. Then, he pops the question...

"Can I go with you? I"ve already talked to my wife and she seems OK with it. I can get the time off work and I'll bring my own truck. I can be the camp cook and I'll do whatever work you need to help you kill a big bull."

Well, this guy is a good friend, and I never thought to ask him as he has small kids at home. He didn't draw anything this year, so he's itching to go.

I was thrilled to have him offer to go, even more than he was for me to say that I'd like to have him along.

This, guys, is a true friend! Now it looks like it'll be my son and I, and our buddy Jeff. Welcome aboard, buddy!

I too start my Elk hunt in 104-108-121 on November 13th. Going up on the 9th. Good luck too you guys.

Maybe ill see you up there. Headed up Monday, if you see I blue Dodge feel free to stop by for a beer, ill be 3 weeks with no company. Haha!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-13 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]
Well, it was a fantastic, but also very frustrating, hunt. We scouted 4 days total, and I ended up hunting 7 days total. I scouted for 2 1/2 days in mid-October, and 1 1/2 days right before the hunt. I then hunted the first 6 days of the season before returning home to work. Then, I just went back for a long weekend hunt as that was all the time I had available. I ended up taking a nice bull, but not the GIANT I was working on.

I found a huge bull in October and found him again opening morning. Couldn't get him opening day, but did get a chance at him two days later. Long story, but no good news about what was probably the biggest bull I've ever shot at in my life. So, my two partners (my son and a good friend) had to go back to work, as did I. I then went out by myself for another 2 1/2 day hunt this weekend and found a good enough bull right away and sealed the deal. It was a long day, lots of butchering and packing for an old dude doing it by himself (where's that help when I need it? :) ), but the bull and I just returned home. All in all, I'm happy with the bull, and extremely happy with the hunt. I would love to archery hunt this unit in September.

This is a fantastic elk hunt, one of the 2 or 3 best I've ever enjoyed. I can't wait to go back again when one of my friends draws someday.

Pics?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-13 AT 01:24AM (MST)[p]
7073231_bull.jpg

I posted a more complete report over on the elk forum also, titled 'Nevada Bull'.

DAN.........VERY NICE BULL FOR SURE !!!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BALL ON THE TRIP & ALL THE SCOUTING AS WELL. TO SPEND TIME LIKE WITH YOUR SON & GOOD BUDDY WILL BE A MEMORY MAKER FOR SURE !!!! CONGRATS TO YOU...................YD.

elknuts...super great bull even thou it was your 2nd choice. I feel your pain, having to cutting up and pack a bull by yourself. Now get back in the hot tub and soak your old bones. You deserve it.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom