Preventing Cape Loss.....

bowhunter223

Well....after harvesting a beautiful buck a few months back on the Archery hunt, and spending approx. 6 hrs. getting him out, I unfortunately lost my cape to the heat and slippage. He was dead for approx 10-12 hrs before I got to him (Shot evening, recovered next AM @ 8:30). My question is this, How is a guy to prevent cape and velvet loss to the August heat on a high country backpack hunt where it is just not feasible to pack any amount of salt in, and it takes a day or so to get the animal out?? Do you just hang the cape to cool & dry out as much as possible and walk out at night (cooler temps)? I would like to hear what you have done and can suggest so this doesn't happen to me ever again. I know when a kill takes place, time is of the essence.......
Any help or suggestions for the future would be appreciated!
Thanks!

4ad777b254b04c16.jpg

I would be best to learn to split, turn and salt your capes in the field. There is no magic answer just a learning curve and a little work its not that bad. The over night recovery with warm temps will do it by itself. In the photo the deer is in velvet, thats a whole issue in as well!

Nice Buck

In your case, it really couldn't be prevented, since it took so long to get to him. Did you actually have the cape tanned etc? Just curious how you knew it was a loss?

Anyway, best bet is to skin quickly, and cool it down in the shade. Remove all the meat you can, especially around the ear muscles. I have seen a lot of people cape the skin to the head, but they left the head, and a section of neck in the cape, and wondered why it went bad. You have to cape the thing completely off the face, and if you aren't sure how, ask your taxi to show you.

As far as velvet goes, it is hit or miss regardless. I would just get some synthetic velvet applied at this point.

I agree with 4000fps it really couldn't be prevented, since it took so long to get to him. If you were able to get to him in time and cape him off the face but was still concerned about slippage. There are some products out there like Stop Rot, Stop Slip even 20 Mule Team Borax that will help a trouble cape. Most taxidermy company's carry these products.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom