Primitive weapons survey

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Who got a survey emailed to them on Primitive weapons ? Since I am older and my first muzzle loader was a patch and ball Hawken rifle. We also you's to hunt the late muzzle load hunt. My views may differ from the younger fellows that get sent the survey ?

I got it and filled it out. I guess I could be considered a youngster (28), personally I had no idea these were even possible changes.

I opposed nearly all the ideas in the survey. I don't think crossbows should be allowed in the archery season (other than for medical reasons), that scopes allowed on Muzzy's or bows, or that locking mechanisms be allowed on bows.

I would be pretty disappointed to see the DWR change the guidelines to allow a few of the proposed survey questions.

I got a kick out of the survey. In the title it leads the survey taker by stating "Primitive Weapon"... then goes on to ask if modern day weapons and technology would be ok... I object!!! Leading the witness :) Overruled... go back to your computer!

I am okay with the new technology and answered okay with pretty much all of them. Not a traditionalist I guess.

www.VIPOptics.com

Optics for Western Hunters...
Sold by Western Hunters.

I wonder who is pushing for these changes. In WI the NRA and manufacturers ponied up a lot of money lobbying and forced the crossbow into archery season last year. If you want to see some interesting and staggering success rates...look up that data. I'm pissed of at the NRA and won't even open the magazine because I know they're going to blather and praise crossguns on every third page.

I voted no for everything and cited neighboring states like CO and ID and their regulations in the comment field. They get it. Good grief, here in Utah the RIFLES are used during the RUT! Why make things any easier than that. If you need a crossbow, fine, get a note from a Dr. If you have eye issues and need a scope, fine get a note from a Dr. Otherwise I'd like to see the laws stay as is.

I want a 6X18 on My Inline!

My eyes are Fading!:D:D:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

I guess I am one of those that doesn't like regulation. Make up your on mind and hunt how you see fit ! I voted yes for everything except scopes on bows and range finders on bows. Didn't see the need. I thought this would be more about primitive weapon hunting ? Just the opposite. I thought it would have been a late muzzle loader hunt using a patch and ball or flint lock rifle. Or about long bows ?
I dont like cross bows really. But I have seen a few old guys out there with med cards using them. So if it helps them get out and hunt better for them. Same with the draw lock.
Since I am a old fart that enjoys shooting every thing from my custom 22 mag to big 50 bmg's . Lets hunt with the toy we best see fits our hunt, game or fitness level. Cause I would still like to be hunting like my grandpa who took his last cow elk at 92 years old.
A lot of the other states are hunting with cross bows, have scopes on muzzle loaders great then 1X. So i guess it is time for Utah to look at these things.

I got the email also and took the survey. Like most of you I was opposed to the ideas that they presented, I thought all those extra advantages would tip the scales too far in the hunters favor. Plus if I had a rangefinder on my bow I couldn't use bad yardage as an excuse for missing shots any more.

I took it yesterday. Other than for permanently disabled people, I don't think crossbows belong in the archery hunt. Any weapon hunts yes, archery no.

I voted no on just about everything except for crossbows for medical reasons. Scopes of any sort don't belong on a muzzleloader. I know it doesn't apply, but I also suggested moving the rifle season out of the elk rut and get rid of that 98% success rate, make guys hunt for crist sakes.

"I guess I am one of those that doesn't like regulation"

Me neither. We should be able to regulate ourselves... If I want to hunt at night with a spotlight or use poison tipped arrows, what's the problem??

:)

Didn't take the survey, but I think things are pushing the limit on being primitive as is and would vote no on changes. Due to aging eyes, I like the 1x scopes, but that is as far as we need to take it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>I voted no on just about
>everything except for crossbows for
>medical reasons. Scopes of any
>sort don't belong on a
>muzzleloader. I know it
>doesn't apply, but I also
>suggested moving the rifle season
>out of the elk rut
>and get rid of that
>98% success rate, make guys
>hunt for crist sakes.

JUDAS!

Give the DWR another year or two & who will care rather they're shootin nothing but PISSCUTTERS in the Rut?

Let's get the StickFlipper LE Hunts moved out of the First part of the Rut as well!

That ought to PISS the POPES off around here!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

I also said "No" to most of the questions. My thought is that if we increase harvest using the advantages noted, the tag numbers will go down and there will be less opportunity. I don't want less opportunity, I want to be able to hunt.

A high powered scope increases the range and effectiveness of a muzzleloader & a crossbow increases the range in archery. I think the harvest rates will go up slightly if these changes are implemented. If that happens, I think we will have less tags in the future. Just my thought.

I'm for keeping primative weapon hunt regs the way they are. I agree that anything we do to give the hunters more of an advantage will increase success rates and in turn decrease tag numbers and opportunity. It cracks me up that guys piss and moan about lack of opportunity not being able to draw tags, yet many of the same people want to allow "primative" weapons to become less primative. I also think it would be great to see a decrease in any weapon tags to where we had a more equal split between weapons. That would equate to lower success rates, in turn allowing for even more primative permits, and give us all more oppurtunity to do what we really want to do and that is hunt.

I got the survey. I answered "NO" to everything except the range finder on bows. I've never seen them myself, and have never used one, but something tells me that it might reduce the number of bucks stuck poorly with an arrow and are never recovered. I explained in my comment section that while I wouldn't object to that one in particular, I also would not fight for it.

I also said, "Smart Guns- are you kidding me??!!"

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

If you allow inline muzzleloaders I see no point in not allowing magnifying scopes. I said yes to that and no to everything else. I have bad eye sight though and need a scope to see the target now days. Stupid genetics have come and kicked my butt.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

A 1x scope clears up my vision of the target nicely, but doesn't really extend my range. For a primitive season, I think that is the best compromise. With a 1x under perfect conditions, I might shoot out to 200. And the majority of the time, around 150 yards max. And if eyesight is still bad with the 1x, limit your shots to less than 100 yards. Don't see any problem with that.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I did the survey, voted no for everything . In comments I did say crossbows with medical needs. Those of you who know Littlebuck know she qualifies for a crossbow, but will not use one. She works hard to be able to use her bow and still hunt Elk with it. Every year she says it could be he last bow hunting, but again she has practiced for months and is ready for the hunt again this year.
I think the people who want these changes should read a few pages from her book. Stop trying to substitute practice and skill learning,with new improved toys to help people with no skill raise their success rates. I know i'll get crap from the long range archery and rifle guys, the guys who think practicing for an archery hunt means drag your bow out a week before the hunt and see if it still works guys
, and so on and so..... But you will not convince me that "primitive" could include anything on archery that holds the bows weight at draw besides your own arms or on a muzzle loader sighting with anything but iron sights.
We all want more animals to be able to draw for with more tags, so why allow new tricks and toys to kill more and more animals, creating less and less tags. I for one wouldnt be willing to increase harvest rates, and reduce tag numbers so the DWR could gain more app fee's and get unskilled hunters into the lottery. My guess is more will apply when there hear guys saying put in for a Deer tag. man its easy with a new crossbow.., 6 power scope on my inline sabot shooting superior ignition 200 grn pellitized magnum single shot high power muzzel loader...... commercialization..... nope not for me and littlebuck

I think we're at a good balance far as weapons. No on muzz scopes, no on crossbows and no on range finders. I'm all for technology but good hell the animals don't have a chance as it is now. Make primitive weapons any easier to navigate then they already are and any numb skull could do it.

For what's it's worth, in my opinion a fixed 6 power scope would be about ideal for a muzzleloader. It gives much more accuracy and would prolly help reduce crippling deer with an inaccurate shot, while still being within the effective range for the weapon.

I took the survey and said no to everything except the rangefinders on bows and range finding scopes, my thought is maybe a lot of hunters don't feel like they have time to range an animal so more get wounded and not recovered. That was my thought on it.

That is my thought on better magnification. At 200 yards or less the crosshairs are the size of the vital zone with a 1x scope. My gun is lethal at 200 yards, I just don't want my weapon stifled inside of its effective range. If I can aim it effectively inside of 200 I could kill what I was aiming at.

Sure everyone would be more efficient at 200 with a 6x scope, but ethics wouldn't change, guys would just push it further and further, start bombing 300+ yard shots. I guess to each their own, I'm for giving the Monarchs half a chance. 11 DAYS!!!

I said yes to everything. Hunt how you want. If I can get a magnified scope on my muzzy, someone should be able to use a draw lock.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom