private ranch elk hunt for old timer

opbuckslayer

Can anyone recommend some quality elk hunts on private land? My father-in-law wants to hunt quality rocky mountain elk while he is still physically able. Are the tags guaranteed or do you have to draw? He can't wait 10 years for a tag and doesn't have tons of loot.He's not looking for a 400 class bull but a quality rifle hunt . Are there any rifle hunts early during the rut? He lives in western WA. so any help would be appreciated.

There are a lot of Colorado private ranch hunts for $4,000 to $5,000. They have high success in number of kills but will not be large bulls.

The Colorado rifle season is usually after the rut but they do have ranches that are in the Ranching for Wildlife Program that rifle hunt during September and October.

If by a quality hunt you mean a 300 or larger bull the hunt will be $7,000 and up.

Most units are first week by draw, 2nd and 3rd week over the counter and 4th week draw. The RFW ranches have their own tags and you don't have to draw.

thanks for the info,do you have any idea which rfw ranches are the best? not sure how many ben franklins he is willing to part with. are all the rfw ranches guided or do they have diy trespass fee hunts?

thanks,OP

These ranches have a limited number of tags and they can usually sell them for full price guided hunts so I doubt if there are any DIY trespass fee hunts on them.

I haven't hunted on any of the RFW but I did hunt once on a regular private land hunt and it was a pretty good hunt. If you hunt the first rifle the bulls will still be bugling but they won't come to you very well. Public land and private land draw from different tag pools so you can draw a private land tag pretty easy without any points.

This a link from the CO DOW listing the RFW ranches.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/RanchingforWildlife/ParticipatingRanches.htm

Some these ranches will be $4,000 to $5,000 but some will be a lot more.

The stuff about Preference Points is for residents. They can hunt for free if they draw a tag. The ranch will provide the paying hunters a tag but you still have to pay the same tag fee as the other tags.

thanks for the info, i'll pass it on. we live in western washington so if you need info on piss poor blacktail deer or roosevelt elk hunting just let me know.

You can also check-out Larry Bishop and Rocky Mountain Ranches. He offers DIY Trespass Hunts specifically.

VERY reasonable rates for private land hunting here in CO.

Black Elk Outfitters has tresspass fee hunts on private ranch's for a very reasonable cost and success rate is arround 50 percent.

Sangre de cristo outfitters pulled alot of big bulls out of thier. Good place just go to thier website i thinks thier sucess rate last year was 100 percent.

Watson

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom