problem: ranch owner posting public land no hunting

GONHUNTIN

well one of the land owners here posted no hunting signs more than a mile away from their fence. He has a guy with a land owner tag and there are 3 good bucks bed down in the sage outside the boundries of the fence. There are only 2 no hunting signs and no other markings around the property.

mark you wouldnt be talking about HT ranch would you? i got asked to leave the other day while hunting the sage outside of his fencing. i heard of a couple of others that were also asked to leave.

Sometimes not all private is fenced. Something you might wanna look into is seeing where the private is.

My friend that had his 4wheeler taken was informed that with the land owner tag they are entitled to a mile around the property. My boss the county foreman says that the property belongs to the county.
Still they are not posted correctly every 100yards and all sides. They are trying to save the deer for the tag holder who trophy hunts in the best area in the unit.

I've been meaning to go to the assesers office and get a property map just to see excatly what he owns. I dont really buy the mile around the property line as being allowed also. Land owner tags can hunt the entire area, so why would there be an entitlement to 1 mile?
I know a few that have been told it's private by him, i think we need to find out for sure. If it's his so be it, if it's not then i will become his worst enemy.
I've seen the bucks on his place and yes there is a couple of nice ones, but nothing world shattering.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-12 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]get a GPS or a BLM land use map, its easy to see where the private land is, find out if its his property, its not a hard thing to do.

I think the new nevada state law is posted every 1200 feet either a sign or a post painted orange. That's what a warden told me. Best thing to do is head to the accessor and see.

There is some language in Nevada law concerning access to land that is awarded a landowner or depredation tag. I would contact NDOW and make sure the landowner isn't in violation of his agreement to issue the tag.
Here is some of the law

NAC 502.4248  Cooperative agreement with Department. (NRS 501.105, 501.181, 502.145, 502.160)
1.  A cooperative agreement entered into pursuant to NAC 502.4246 must provide that:
(a) If the owner applicant's private land is adjacent to public land for which access is not available except through the private land, the owner applicant shall provide access to the public land during the hunting season to a person or hunting party with a tag for the purpose of hunting on the public land. The access may be at a specified location or locations as mutually agreed upon by the owner applicant and the Department and must be identified on the map provided by the Department which is required to be submitted with the application for a damage compensation tag pursuant to subparagraph (2) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 of NAC 502.4246.
(b) When the Department receives a notice from the owner applicant, the Department agrees to act expeditiously to:
(1) Consult with the owner applicant;
(2) Assess the cause of damage;
(3) Conduct a count of any depredating animals; and
(4) Recommend a course of action to mitigate damages.
(c) The owner applicant agrees to:
(1) Consult with the Department and consider its technical advice; and
(2) Allow a representative of the Department to enter his or her property at times mutually agreed upon to:
(I) Inspect the property;
(II) Assess the cause of damage;
(III) Count the number of any depredating animals; and
(IV) Prevent further damage by any method the Department deems to be necessary, including, but not limited to, hazing, hunting, shooting and scaring.
2.  If the owner applicant stops or attempts to stop any hunter holding a tag from entering or crossing his or her private land in violation of paragraph (a) of subsection 1 before the expiration of the agreement, the Department must refuse to issue any damage compensation tags to the owner applicant for 1 year.
(Added to NAC by Bd. of Wildlife Comm?rs, eff. 7-16-92; A 10-26-93, eff. 10-1-93; 11-29-95; R113-01, 12-17-2001; R030-06, 6-1-2006)

Wow! Why haven't you gone to the warden for that area and complained. I don't know the law as far as what has been told so far, but, restricting access from someone not on your property is hunter harrassment. There is a fine for that and the owner could loose his landowner privleges. In the Ruby's, quite a few years ago, I was hunting unit 101 on that backside or west side of the mountain when 2 horse riders came up and said I was hunting on private property. I just happened to have my GPS on me and I took a fix of my position. I told them I would leave but asked for there names (Can't remember them now). When I returned to Wells I stopped at the Field Office and asked if I was in the wrong. I wasn't, my postion was not within a 1/2 mile of theres on. I asked what I could do, gave my name and phone numer to them and to this day haven't heard anything from them.

>kevin yes i am meaning it
>even took a friends 4wheeler
>while he was walking the
>sage pissed him off.

Call the sherif... that's theft.

Also, if he's posting signs on public land.. that too is against the law.

Land owners posting USFS ground happens quite often. I always carry maps from the assessor in my pack and I also leave a map on the windshield of my truck. I do get sick and tired of the harassment in the field and have received many harassing notes left on my truck. Since I am 100% in the right and legal it doesn't bother me much, just turn his harassing BS into firestarter. I've been harassed by the same landowner every year for 26 years, you think he'd resort to doing something productive instead of annoying anyone and everyone that parks close to his fenceline.

If you are not accessing the land through his property but through public land it must be posted with signs or fence posts that have the top painted orange every 150 yards is what i was told. I dont know about how it is handled hear in Nevada but some states a land owner can loose their land owner tags for a year if they are caught posting public land as private, plus with a land owner tag you can hunt the entire unit that the ranch is in. So his argument for a 1 mile buffer around his land is a joke.

Has anybody used the HuntingGPS maps for Nevada? It is supposed to show the landowner/private property lines. I was looking at getting this because I run into these issue quite often. That is why I looked up the law concerning landowner tags and access through their land.
2 weeks ago we were hunting in a area and parked outside the landowners posted area. He confronted us at the end of the day and said he was going to smash our trucks with his backhoe but run out of time. He said that he feeds all of the deer around the property and didn't want anybody hunting it so he can get the $7500 tag fee. Now I am trying to get the word out to everybody that you can go through their land with the proper protocol followed.

Neotreks app for the iPhone is the best $30 I have ever spent. The great thing is you don't need phone service for it to work. It solves all worries. It has a blue dot right where you are. I was hunting a checkered board Blm and private last year in Montana when I was approached by a land owner. He was mad and called the fish cops. I waited very respectfully until the game warden arrived and then pulled my phone out and showed him exactly where I was. They both ended up apologizing and the land owners actually allowed me to drive on his ranch since where he approached me was 6 miles from my pickup. Hope everyone has a safe and great hunting season.

I've been run offa land in Colorado that was public, and I was p1ssed!!!!!!

Never again!! The state chips for a Garmin. I was confronted in Wy this year. He was kinda agressive until I picked my GPS up offa the seat and said, "My GPS says this is public, and this is a County road isn't it?" He changed his tone quickly. In fact, he told me about an area on the other side of his ranch that had a bunch of antelope. I saw the biggest buck of our hunt there although he was on private by a couple of hundered yards. And I actually took my buck about 400 yards off of his ranch.

He may have been stearing me away from a bigger buxk, but if so I never saw him.

I had total confidence. I paid extra to get the Wyoming chip from the state but figured if i ended up in court, or talking to law enforcement, my story would be that I bought the chip from the state of Wyoming thus I have done everything possible to comply with the law. It would be pretty hard to cite or prosecute me when their own product said I was on public regardless of signs, postings, etc.

And creating a waypoint as a permanent record wouldn't hurt either. But IMO the GPS just calls bluffs.

GPS with a chip is great for knowing where you are. Solves any problems with not knowing where you are.

Longbeard, 6 miles in on checkerboard BLM you referred to your Montana hunt. Was there any corner crossing involved? If so, just curious if the warden or landerowner said anything about it?

>Has anybody used the HuntingGPS maps
>for Nevada? It is
>supposed to show the landowner/private
>property lines. I was looking
>at getting this because I
>run into these issue quite
>often. That is why
>I looked up the law
>concerning landowner tags and access
>through their land.
> 2 weeks ago we were
>hunting in a area and
>parked outside the landowners posted
>area. He confronted us
>at the end of the
>day and said he was
>going to smash our trucks
>with his backhoe but run
>out of time. He
>said that he feeds all
>of the deer around the
>property and didn't want anybody
>hunting it so he can
>get the $7500 tag fee.
> Now I am trying
>to get the word out
>to everybody that you can
>go through their land with
>the proper protocol followed.

This would be a fascinating issue to follow if he had in fact damaged your pickup with his backhoe. Even if you were trespassing, the penalty would be insignificant compared to the damages you'd have been able to sue him for that he would have caused to your pickup. That'd be a funny confrontation to follow, for sure.

Easy fix here.
1 - buy the GPS chip
2 - call sheriff and file police report
3 - don't take sh*t from landowner trying to run you off public land

I had the same issue a couple times so I bought the chips. Problem solved. Makes it easy to call BS on these guys that have nothing better to do than try and bully guys who actually follow the laws and act ethically.

This is what is required of the land owner for properly posting private ground in Nevada. 5NRS 207.200 Unlawful trespass upon land; warning against trespassing.

Unless a greater penalty is provided pursuant to NRS 200.603, any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a burglary:
Goes upon the land or into any building of another with intent to vex or annoy the owner or occupant thereof, or to commit any unlawful act; or
Willfully goes or remains upon any land or in any building after having been warned by the owner or occupant thereof not to trespass,
→ is guilty of a misdemeanor. The meaning of this subsection is not limited by subsections 2 and 4.
A sufficient warning against trespassing, within the meaning of this section, is given by any of the following methods:
If the land is used for agricultural purposes or for herding or grazing livestock, by painting with fluorescent orange paint:
Not less than 50 square inches of the exterior portion of a structure or natural object or the top 12 inches of the exterior portion of a post, whether made of wood, metal or other material, at:
Intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such structure, natural object or post would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such structure, natural object or post, but at intervals of not more than 1,000 feet; and
Each corner of the land, upon or near the boundary; and
Each side of all gates, cattle guards and openings that are designed to allow human ingress to the area;
If the land is not used in the manner specified in paragraph (a), by painting with fluorescent orange paint not less than 50 square inches of the exterior portion of a structure or natural object or the top 12 inches of the exterior portion of a post, whether made of wood, metal or other material, at:
Intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such structure, natural object or post would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such structure, natural object or post, but at intervals of not more than 200 feet; and
Each corner of the land, upon or near the boundary;
Fencing the area; or
By the owner or occupant of the land or building making an oral or written demand to any guest to vacate the land or building.
It is prima facie evidence of trespass for any person to be found on private or public property which is posted or fenced as provided in subsection 2 without lawful business with the owner or occupant of the property.
An entryman on land under the laws of the United States is an owner within the meaning of this section.
As used in this section:
"Fence" means a barrier sufficient to indicate an intent to restrict the area to human ingress, including, but not limited to, a wall, hedge or chain link or wire mesh fence. THE TERM DOES NOT INCLUDE A BARRIER MADE OF BARBED WIRE.
"Guest" means any person entertained or to whom hospitality is extended, including, but not limited to, any person who stays overnight. The term does not include a tenant as defined in NRS 118A.170.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom