Problems with chrony readings

MNHunter

I went to the range yesterday and shot my 300WSM. I set up my Beta Master Chrony and tried to get some velocity readings. I shoot 180 gr Fed Prem Trophy Bonded tip which has a factory reported muzzle velocity of 2960. I set my crony up 15 feet in front and constantly got readings of 3200+ fps. I moved to the 200 yard range and set up again. This time my readings were in the 3350+ fps range. What the heck am I doing wrong to get readings like this?

Thanks

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

>You must have bought Mtmuleys old
>crony!
>

Lmmfao....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Try to shoot with the sun directly overhead, midday, and use the filter screens above the arms. I would also try to position the sky screens 20 feet from the muzzle to avoid false readings from muzzle blast.

I like to put colored tape about 6-7 inches above the control box on the skyscreen arms where my bullet will pass over the control box at about 4-5 inches. Just be careful and not hit the control box.

RELH

RELH,

Just curious as to what the colored tape does.. Is it just for a quick visual to line up the crosshairs or does it help with false readings somehow?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The colored tape is used as a visual referrence to line up the cross hairs to allow the bullet to pass over at 4-5 inches. A big aid in helping to prevent shooting the crony when using a scope since the bullet path is lower then the scope.

RELH

Gotcha, thanks for the info... I know I'm always worried about shooting mine..I seem to be anal about checking all different angles to make sure I'm lined up properly...I might have to try the tape to make it easier..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom