Pronghorn horns

S

SanPat_243

I'm currently doing a euro mount on my 09 goat and was wondering if anyone had any tips for blackening the horns. I've heard everything from WD-40 to furniture polish. Any ideas??

Here's what I have after almost two weeks of maceration:

4ac27672356b7bd7.jpg

Antelope horns are not black but a combination of grey, dark brown, charcoal in color. I normally do not darken them but seal them with a matte finish that does not leave any shine. Skull turned out nice!

I actually just finished mine, and dusted them with a light spray of matte black paint. I think they look pretty good.

To each his own I guess.

}}-SLIVER-->

I like to wipe the horns down with ARMORALL, before ataching them to the skull with clear silicone glazing. It brings out the natural color and puts a nice sheen on the horns that eventually tones down and looks great and not cheesey, I think spraying them with any kind of laquer looks kinda crappy as the horns are not naturally GLOSSY. another tip I found that works great to bleach out skulls is OXYCLEAN put a few scoops in the water and simmer the skull for a couple hours it really come out white.

Your skull looks great, good job!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4ae5b8302e602487.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom