Proper Elk Hunting Powerbelt Loads

elkmanchad

Well, I'm a first time poster to the forum. This weekend I will embark on my first black powder hunt. I will be hunting elk and mule deer in Northern Colorado. I have a T/C Triumph and will be shooting 338 grain platinum Powerbelts (I heard these are great for elk). I've been shooting both 100 and 110 grains of 777 FFG with great groups. Does anyone have an opinion on the load being used? I am planning on going with 110 grains unless someone talks me out of it. According to the Powerbelt website, expansion isn't much of an issue, regardless of the charge. Here is an excerpt from ther website.

"PowerBelt Platinums also deliver an improved ballistic coefficient by utilizing a more aggressive bullet taper design. Not only does the new taper provide for a more aerodynamic flight, it also helps control the rate of expansion ? regardless of powder charge or distance the bullet travels."

What is everyone's real work experience?

Thanks,

When I used the 338 powerbelt for elk, my powder load was 95 grains of 777, so I think you will be fine either way. I tend to flinch less at the 95-100 grain range, so that usually makes me more accurate, and that much powder is more than enough to take an elk. Never shot an elk with one, so can't help you on how they perform/expand.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My buddy shot a bull last year with 100gr of 777 and the 338plat... biggest chunk of bullet he found weighed about 80 grains. It killed the bull no doubt, but... If that was the only bullet I was going to use, I'd go with 80-90gr of powder. Then you don't have to worry about it. The diffrence in trajectory and killing power inside 100 yards will be negligble as compared to your heavy load.

Think about this... a 45/70 put to death millions of bison with 70 grains of black powder and a big azz bullet. 80-90gr of 777 is like shooting 90-100 grains of black powder. Should be adequate for an elk. :)

I know MuleyAuthority wasn't too happy with the way the bullet exploded on both of his deer with 100g 777 and that bullet. He said that it destroyed both front shoulders. I would listen to TX and go with the lower charge.

Last year on our LE ML elk hunt both my brother and I used the 338 Plat PB with 90gr 777 with good results. My brother had bad shot placement so we had to trail his bull. I had good shot placement and the bullet did its job well at 125 yds. Hit lung and pulverized the opposite shoulder on a slight quartering away shot. The first shot did the trick but after my brothers bull I got nervous when my bull tried to get back up so I took shot number 2 but after it was said and done the second shot was not needed.

PBs definately perform better with 80-90gr charges vs. 100+ in my experience.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom