property tax's !

M

manny15

I've been paying attention to house values in my neck of the woods for a year now, according to a realtor friend, my house is worth $189,000 I paid $217.000 3 years ago.

K the county tax assessor says my house is now worth $249.000 of which they have billed me for, after getting raked by the Feds shouldn't our local government do what's right!?.. Lower my prop taxes to the going sale rate!!!

Nothing but Greed everywhere!!!

You can protest the amount and request a reassessment. Unfortunately your city, county and state are in a unprecedented financial crisis.

Lowering properties to going sales rates as opposed to assessed value will only lower tax revenues across the board, enhance the current financial crisis and further the losses of basic services, police, fire, schools, road repair, etc.

You have to look at this in reverse. If the state raised existing homeowner property taxes to current sales prices annually, you would pay out the nose in an appreciating market. Instead of gloating how low your property taxes are compared with the neighbor that just payed double for their property.

Welcome to homeownership 2008.

"Instead of gloating how low your property taxes are compared with the neighbor that just payed double for their property."

I don't get your point there???

My wife inherited her parents farm. The county just lowered the value & taxes on the farm residence and it's five acreas. They also raised the property value, and taxes, on the remaining land that was zoned as agriculture land attached to the residence land.
She called the county tax broard and was advised, " oh, it is common knowledge that when residence values go down, agriculture land goes up in value".

It is not worth fighting them over it as a lawyer would cost more then you would save in taxes.

RELH

well mine was raised $660.00 a year, bringing it to $2,860.00 a year when you have an economy in trouble, best thing to do is to raise tax's right?...

When you have a group of neighbors that bought 15 years ago talking about home prices, the topic of property taxes always comes up.

Let's say you buy at 200K and your house appreciates to 800K. You get a new neighbor who buys at 800K, his property taxes in Calif. would be approx. 11K. as opposed to your $2,500.00. Of course there is always that one quiet grinning neighbor that bought pre-prop 13 and they pay $320.00 a year for their 800K home.

That's what I mean when I say gloating.

You don't need a lawyer to request a property re-assessment it's free, simply call or write to the County Assessor office and request it.

i guess it must be Manny its the obomination way. everyone is loosing their house anyway so spread some wealth before they take it away

I bought my house in july of 07 for 300k. They finally sent me my adjustment to the new value in july of 08 with an accessed value of 289k. In sept of 08 they sent a re-accessment for 178k. My house is only worth about 135k now. I'm not sure why they lowered it, good for me so I wont complain. But I will ask for a new accessment in febuary when they usually do them.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-08 AT 07:27PM (MST)[p]Interesting how people all have such differing opinions about taxes. I pay though the nose for my place. It's kinda okay though to have a road, a street and school with two teachers for my daughter, police, fire, of which I'm the training officer (it's a volunteer outfit as are most in rural montana). Come to think of it, I'm working for free to protect my community and put my life on the line for my neighbors, man maybe I should get a tax break for all the hours and hours of service I give my county and my neighbors - heck if you carry a gun and put your life on the line you dont have to pay taxes . . . Or maybe it's just my duty. . .

I think I'm doing okay, and sure, my taxes as a percentage of my property value are huge, but my quality of life is outstanding. I dont like getting taxed more every year while my pay has been flat, my spending power has dropped by 25% and my property taxes have doubled over the last 4 years, the value of my house has gone down. I'll be all right as long as the wind keeps blowing, the snow keeps flying, and the arctic cold keeps coming.

Manny the great thing about living in this country is you choices, you are free to run for office and change things, shut up, keep complaining, or move. . .

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

heck if
>you carry a gun and
>put your life on the
>line you dont have to
>pay taxes . . .

I have'nt heard that before. Just a Montana thing or what.

P.S. Have'nt argued with you in awhile Tony, hope all is well. Have a good Christmas. :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-08 AT 09:48PM (MST)[p]
well i geuss i'm just exercising my first amendment right!
I'm feeling the pinch as we speak here, being a licensed contractor who hasn't had any work since May!

now if I can't blow steam off here then where?

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that expressly prohibits the United States Congress from making laws "respecting an establishment of religion" or that prohibit the free exercise of religion, laws that infringe the freedom of SPEECH, infringe the freedom of the press, limit the right to peaceably assemble, or limit the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I've been paying my fair share of tax's and such for 35 years, key word FAIR the county is assessing my home @ $249,000 just to collect more tax's from me, when in reality the house is worth much less, then they do so under false pretence?s...

as was pointed out, you do have the right to an appeal. . . file it.

I was referring to the fact that service men and woman dont pay taxes when they shop on base. . .

Have a merry christmas!

Tony

Tfinal there you go dreaming again. You can file all you want and you are fighting a stacked deck in county bureaucracy that has no intention of lowering your property tax.
The only way you have a reasonable chance to lower your tax is hire your own appraisal and they will fight that unless you haul their butts into court. Over the normal tax bill for the average residence that is not worth it.
There are ways to beat them at their own game but sometimes it is not worth the fight.
Heck! in ca. having a boat is considered "real" property and the county tries to add that on your property tax bill if the purchase value is over a certain amount.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom