Proposed quotas are out

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-10 AT 06:43PM (MST)[p]The NDOW has normaly been very conservative when it comes to tag recommendations. I hope this years increase in tags is a reflection of healthy deer and elk herds. I see the antelope tags were cut back in most of the units my family usualy hunts. Can't wait for the results!

So does it really take a month after these #s are proposed to set them and do the draw?

I believe the quotas won't be official for 15 days, after the next Commission meeting. After that I suppose one could argue that someone could do their job faster to please us.

It doesn't seem to me that the act of plugging in the numbers would take long. However, I don't know what type of test scenarios they run or contingencies they build into their contract in case something goes wrong. Perhaps there could be some sort of incentive for the Hunt Office to get the draw done faster but it would have to be monetary and that would have to come out of our pocket.

now this is how to manage big game animals. maybe oregon and idaho should visit nevada for some lessons. i see they increased where i hunted elk last year with a rifle from 55 tags to 83 .there were allot of elk, but im not sure it needed that many more hunters. but i trust the nv biologists they have done a great job so far. the non res deer hunt i want to draw went from 11 to 9 tags, i only need one though, ha ha

The elk area I drew last year (cow ML, 061, 071) went from 30 to 50 tags. Dad and I put that down as our first and only choice this year. Looks pretty promising for both of us there!! He has three points.

The area I put down first for antelope went from 41 to 75! I have two points there, that looks promising also!!

Deer is a toss up 50 to 55? Maybe with me and my dad as a party?

Sheep and goat, who knows, lol.

Well, hopefully the commission will keep the numbers the same, especially for the elk!!

Later

Marcial

Very suprised in the big increases in some of the tags this year. All the areas I applied for deer both rifle and archery had substantial increases in tags this year.

Im a bit of a skeptic but I also hope that this means the herds are doing really well and not just an attempt to generate more cash.

Hopefully it means I will definately be hunting something this fall!

Swwweeeeetttt! I should finally pull a cow tag after 3 yrs. The rest? Doubtful, but I'll take what I can get.

after reading the big game status book for this year, I'm confident that the biology is sound.
I get the feeling they are having trouble controlling elk numbers.
the herds are growing quickly in some areas.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom