Protein Powder on the Mtn.

Tank

I am leaving next Friday for 8 days solo deer/elk hunt in the high country. I had an idea to take protein powder and powdered milk to supplement my diet/keep the weight down. I tend to loose a bunch of weight on these hunts, and it is hard on your body if you get to pack a bull out. Does anybody have experience doing this?

I'd just pack a builder's bar for each day and not mess with mixing a shake.. Mixing and cleaning is a pain in the asss in the backcountry IMO..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

If yer just worried about loosing weight pack more calories...They will do more for you on a trip like that than protein ...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

PROTAIN BARS are good, powders are okay if you want to hump in water to mix, I need 64 oz of water a day and 90gm isolate protein and 1500 mg of calcium citrate, and 2 vitamins and 1 day of b1, and d3 so I will need water so yes I do a protein powder and bars and a few Costco premium protein drinks and nuts and jerk all good protein! I may pack in water if no spings are seen next week!
protein powder in going to be NECTOR BRAND because it mixes east and is easy to rinse and clean! isopure is my main powder because its the best but shaker is hard to clean and its sticky!!

I have done this type of hunting long enough to know I can't force any more food down in the high country. I think the altitude (9900') affects my appetite, and 2000 kcals a day is the max I have been able to eat. There is not nearly enough protein to repair muscle damage in the Mtn House meals and bars. When packing in for so long weight is a premium, so I am going to try it. Water is not an issue up where I hunt so I don't have to pack it in. I hadn't thought of the clean up, glad I threw it out there to get some input. Friday can't get here soon enough...

8 days in the back country really isn't enough time to worry about muscle damage/repair due to lack of protein.. How much do you weigh?

If I were you I wouldn't worry about pounding the protein up there but if you do decide to pack in the stuff to make some shakes I highly recommend using NIDO (made by Nestle) powdered milk.. I have found it to be better than all other products I have tried and it tastes like real milk... You can usually find it a Walmart or sometimes in the hispanic food section of grocery stores..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I packed a 6 point bull out of the canyon I hunt a couple years ago, and I wouldn't have made it without drinking a bunch of muscle milk that I had left in the coolers. I know this is starting to sound like Slam or Stinky, but your body needs the protein for so many reasons. I have to climb 3000 vertical feet just to get to my spike camp and then hunt from there. I just feel better when I make sure there is enough protein. I can hunt and stay focused much better. Thanks for the powdered milk idea, I am going to give it a try.

Lol Tank....the old muscle milk days ;-)
When i'm guiding for four weeks straight without a break, i keep protein bars in my pack because they are lightweight, don't take up much space and aren't messy or need mixing. There is also very little trash with just a few wrappers i can stuff into a pocket. One thing is for certain, i have never been able to maintain my weight during hunting season no matter how much i stuff myself in camp or all the protein bars i can consume. I blame my weightloss on cortisol. Between the stress of guiding multiple hunts back to back of $20K elk hunters, the lack of sleep and stress simply eats me up. But when i get back to my normal life, a 20lb jump is only a handful of weeks away ;-)

I'm a protein junkie myself. So I take protein powder in a zip lock freezer bag to have a shake each day and get an extra 20 to 30 grams of high quality protein in my diet. I usually have it in the morning with my oatmeal, but before bed would be good also to help your protein intake. Its lightweight and helps with muscle repair. Nay water isnt usually an issue in places where i hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom