public vs. private system?

need4x4

What is the best way to see the public vs. the private land when researching a unit or hunt?

In trying to decide on a unit, is there a good way to see the basic land ownership?

Then once a unit is drawn, a more precise way to know the smaller scale ownership?

I hope some of you are willing to share what works for you.

Thanks in advance.

You need a map that shows surface management. The map you need depends on the public ownership in the area you plan to hunt, ie: BLM, USFS, or other. These will show even the smallest ownership, but for hunting purposes it is good to have a topo map. If you like, once you have a surface management map, you can then buy USGS topo quads of the area and transfer the boundaries onto that map using a pen(a highligher works well, too)based on the section numbers, landmarks, etc....There are also National Geographic topo maps for some areas that show public and private boundaries. You have to watch it with those maps, they often do not show these exactly, and it says so on the map. In general, they are handy.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-08 AT 09:25AM (MST)[p]Thanks, I will try to get the gazatter to start.

I very much appreciate it.

I think the BLM maps are the best to use.
Cost a few bucks, show all ownership, and cover a couple hundred square miles.

I also use BLM maps and transfer the info onto the topo maps of the area I am hunting, then cary those topo maps with me in the field at all times - refering to them often to make sure I know where the property line are.
Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom